1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unlucky git

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Ben87, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Ben87

Ben87 Member

my m8 is having big probs with his computer. he plays online games a lot and up until recent didnt have a firewall or antivirus. a while ago his computer starting shutting itself down when he connects to the internet. after asking around he got a firewall, ended up having 5 for a while!!!!! but they slowed his computer down. it still happens and he has unchecked the restart automatically option in system, under advanced and in startup and recovery. im alos at a loss. could it be a trojan and why dont the firewalls block the communication if its a remote computer turning his off????? :S

thx in advance...

2. gotisos

gotisos Guest

try uninstalling all of the firewalls that he has, run antivirus, mcafee systemworks would be good. that should take care of any virii, or trojans that may be installed, just quaratine sections with malicous code. Then reinstall a firewall, like zonealarm etc and try to connect to the internet

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

First he should run an antivirus.
    Second possiblity if was cleaned, is does he have a temperture protection on it. One of my friends had a faulty temp sensor and would shut down when he was playing Warcraft3 online. It is possible that its shuting down due to over heating. It it overclocked, or does it run hot. this could be an other possibility.

4. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Regarding the virus idea, the wonderful blasterworm just loved to cause the computer to reboot. I am assuming it's a windows based OS, what your going to need to do, is download all updates for it and followed by getting a removal tool.

http://securityresponse1.symantec.com/sarc/sarc.nsf/html/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

If it's not the virus, then prisoner has the right idea. Do you have enough cooling in the system. Good airflow is an esential key for a computer. One other possible problem that i saw in the past is the Power supply gets too hot and doesn't provide enough power and problems started to arise. Probably not that though.