1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unmodded xbox help - booting problem

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Duff26, May 24, 2007.

1. Duff26

Duff26 Member

Problem with my Unmodded xbox
    >>>Does initial boot sequence but freezes when Xbox picture comes up with the green X.

So far I believe the mother board is fine, because it loads this graphic intro.

>>>Took xbox apart, replaced HDD with one from a different xbox and recieved error 5. "unlocked HDD"
    >>>Undid IDE to DVD rom - error 12.

I was wondering what the xbox did after the initial into sequence. Does it then load from the HDD? Does it load something else from the motherboard? because this is where it is freezing, seemingly trying to get to the next step. Any suggestions or detailed xbox boot process would be appriciated. Thanks

2. steimy

steimy Active member

i think it woiuld load the MS Dashboard from the hard drive as the first step after the splash screen. You can not stick another hard drive in there, the hard drive is locke to your specific console.

3. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Why did you take your unmodded xbox apart, were you receiving error codes before you took it apart? In a normal setting a unmodded box will not give any problems unless the dvd drive or the hard drive died on you.

You can change hard drives if your box was modded and got a hold of the eeprom. If you disconnected the drive when it was still working normally to install another drive while the box was powered up then powered down with the replacement drive, you'll need to get a chip so that the original drive can be relocked, If you didnt softmod.

steimy is right, each hard drive is locked to a specific eemprom.

If you swapped when the box was powered down just insert the correct drive to the box, if you cant due to hard drive failure if that was the intention of replacing the drive you'll need to chip or get a hold of the eeprom of that drive, unlock then re-lock it with the correct eeprom. If you dont want to do all that just get it chipped.