1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Unsupported file format' error message

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by soundmate, Jul 19, 2005.

1. soundmate

soundmate Member

Hi,
    I am using Nero 5.5.10.7 and i am tring to burn a .avi video file ,which is DivX, into a vcd. When I try to drag this file into the compilation box I get a message saying this is an 'unsupported file format'. I checked the manual and it says that avi and divx are supported file types.

Is it just a matter of downloaded a plugin or something like that. Any advice would be appriecated.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

not sure if i'm reading this right, but i think you need to first convert to VCD format with a.n.other program (a number of which are in the software section at top of page). I don't think Nero does that (i might be wrong though as i don't do VCD's)

3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Nero can actually do that. Unfortunately, it often has problems recognizing avis. For that matter, you may:

1) change the codec of the avi (set video to xvid and audio to mpeg layer 3)

2) change the avi into mpeg1 format

You can do the above with X Video Converter or Power Video Converter.

Also, be sure to have all the needed codecs. If unsure, try download and install K-Lite Codec Pack (full or mega version):

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Good luck!

4. creaky

cheers scf_au, i just wasn't sure!
    and damn!, i forgot to suggets the k-lite codecs, cool

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  5. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Yeah, I know. I often marvel at your replies which are both clear and comprehensive. Keep up the good work for the community!

*_*

6. creaky

fanx, your replies are top stuff too btw

7. soundmate

soundmate Member

Thx for your comments. I dl GSpot and found that I needed the Div3 codec which i got from ffdshow.

Nero read the file and transferred it to the compilation box. I will now have to read through some of the guides on how to burn a vcd - this is my first time burning a movie!

Just one more thing. I would like to split the movie into, say, 20min chunks without any pauses. Just like splitting an audio album into tracks. Is this possible, and how effective is it. Can anyone piont me towards the right guide on how to do this.
    thx.