1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual DVD Shrink problem, I think.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by burris, Sep 25, 2004.

1. burris

burris Member

I am new to this forum but have frequented many others.
    I thank ScubaPete for all the information he has supplied.
    My situation seems to be different, so perhaps someone has a solution.

XPPro...P4 1.4...512Mb...60Gb HDD along with two 20GbHDD used for back-up...Sony 700A burner with the latest firmware. DMA is set and the PC has no problems with anything else. I'm on DSL and have a HPNA network with one other PC also on XPPro.

I not only have Shrink and DeCrypter and DVD43 and the latest Nero, but virtually every other burning copying program on the planet. Have tried them all to no avail.

When it works...maybe one out of five, I can decrypt and create a file in no time. All the other times, I get about 50-60% through the process and my PC freezes up, requiring a cold boot. The DVDs play fine on my PC, Panasonic E80H as well as a cheapie that I acquired for this testing purpose.

I have religiously applied every tick that ScubaPete has suggested and have tried every combination of shrinking to include a raw copy of the DVD to a folder and then shrinking.

All the threads seem to talk about the burning process with which I have never had a problem...using TDK disks.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks....

burris

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

If I read your post right ... your problem is ripping, right?

Are you running any other programs while trying to rip? Have you defragged lately?

3. burris

burris Member

Thanks for your reply....

My system is ultra clean. Yes, I defrag regularly, have many programs that empty the temp files and some registry cleaning programs as well. I do remain on my DSL connection and the only activity might be an e-mail coming in, but it also freezes without any.
    I would guess that my anti-virus and firewall and Spyware guard programs wouldn't be alerted from internal activity. None of them has ever visibly complained.

I forgot to mention that I use Fat32, but am always careful to limit the file size to well below 4000Kb.
    My HDD runs at 7200rpm and has DMA enabled both on it as well as the burner.

As I said, when it works, it zips along and never had a problem with burning or playing back that which was burned.

Problem is only with ripping. Always gets to 55-65% and then freezes no matter which program I use. Does this even if I copy the DVD to a file and run the shrink from there. Weird....

burris

4. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi. :)

burris, this could be due to your system overheating.
    A quick way to find out would be to remove your PC case side-panels.
    If this does not work, try pointing external fans toward the processor. ;)

5. burris

burris Member

Well, my friend, your suggestion has solved my problem.

This was the only thing that escaped me. I live in an apartment with AC always on (South Florida, hurricane territory), and my equipment is mostly exposed and not hidden in a cabinet so this though never entered my mind.
    When I removed the side panel and looked carefully, I discovered that obviously, when I replaced my burner about 3 months ago, I must have inadvertently disconnected the power lead to the processor fan. Plugged it back in and voila.

This just reinforces the value I have always placed on what were BBSs 300 baud when I began, and now what are called forums on hi-speed broadband. Great opportunities to have minds exchange thoughts.

Thanks again....

burris

6. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Glad to hear the problem is now fixed, burris, and to have been of help. ;)