1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusually shorty battery life for iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone - General discussion' started by haasmon92, Mar 1, 2009.

1. haasmon92

haasmon92 Regular member

I have had my iPhone 3G since October, 2008 and it has always had a pretty short battery life. I knew that iPhones had a problem so I did a little research. I found out that it should be able to get around 4-5 hours of usage while browsing on the 3G network. That alone seemed quiet inflated considering i get around 3.5 - 4 hours of usage while ONLY using the phone to check e-mail occasionally and consistent text messaging (around 50-100 a day). My settings are configured like this: Airplane Mode: Off, Wi-Fi: Off, Fetch New Data: Hourly for one e-mail address and Push Off, Sounds: all the way up with vibrate enabled, Brightness: slider right under the "B" with Auto-Brightness off, Network: 3G Enabled, Bluetooth: Off, Location Services: Off, Auto-Lock: 1 Minute, Sound EQ: Off. I charge it over night with the included charger. I try to let it run down to the screen that indicates the battery is almost dead and then it sits over night on the charger uninterrupted for about 7-8 hours. I spend most of my time in an area where there is always a 5-bar 3G connection.

So as you can see, I have followed apple's directions to help conserve the battery life but it really doesn't seem to help. It's been configured this way since I bought it and I turn it off and then back on every night to turn off any background apps.

Here is a picture of my average usage time. It died about a half hour after this picture was taken:

[​IMG]

As you can see, I NEVER access the internet from it and only use it to check my one e-mail account hourly.

Is this normal or is something wrong with my iPhone? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

2. haasmon92

haasmon92 Regular member

Anyone?

3. j4k3y

j4k3y Member

My battery life is usually a day if i'm using it for music and web browsing, two or three if i let it just sit there idle. Did yours come fully charged?

4. haasmon92

haasmon92 Regular member

no it was dead. I know that lithium based batteries should never be completely discharged but I didn't think anything of it. could that be the problem?

5. j4k3y

j4k3y Member

I'm guessing it has something to do with it. Everyone i know who has an iphone, myself included had it come fully charged out of the box. Can you take it back and get a replacement unit? The batteries are a fusker to change.

6. haasmon92

haasmon92 Regular member

Haha, yeah they are. I was going to try but I watched a video on YouTube and I was like F this :p but yeah, it comes with a 1 year warrenty so I'll try. Thanks!