1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upconversion DVD Player Question

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by KEGNFOOL, Jan 3, 2007.

1. KEGNFOOL

KEGNFOOL Regular member

has anybody got an upconversion dvd player? Whats your opinion of them and have you used any dvd's that have been copied using dvd shrink? just wondering whehter or not to waste my time with buying one or wait until the hd and blu rays come down in price!

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I had this exact same question about two weeks ago and I asked here and on Videohelp.com and this is what I've found:

Whether upconversion or hi-def itself matters depends a lot on the viewing distance and the size of the TV. A small HDTV (I have a 26") won't benefit from either upconversion or HD beyond a viewing distance of about 5 feet. Larger screens buy you more viewing distance up to a point, but at some distance you won't be able to tell even true HD or Blu-Ray from standard-def. If you think you can really benefit from hi-def/upconversion, spend a little extra and get an Oppo or maybe a Samsung HD-860. Otherwise a cheap upconverting player helps some, especially for small TVs.