1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upconvert problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cincyfan9, Dec 28, 2007.

1. cincyfan9

cincyfan9 Member

I have a phillips 1080i upconvert dvd player and a 16x9 1080i hitachi hdtv. When i view my dvds in either 720p or 1080i it shifts the picture downward about an inch which is very annoying. It doesnt do it in 480p it does it only when I upconvert. I have heard about this issue in other forums. Please is there any way I can fix this??

2. Rustbuket

Rustbuket Member

Yeah, i just went thru this a couple of days ago myself. Mine is the Hitachi 51F59.
    You have to go into the settings menu and change a couple of settings which is super simple to do.
    Heres the forum i found the answer at, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=790702&highlight=Hitachi"

And heres the actual fix...

the "official" F59 HDMI Fix is here. And you can do it yourself!!!!!

Late this afternoon, I managed to get ahold of the official "Service Bulletin"--dated Jan '07--that Hitachi has recently circulated to all Authorized Service Centers. The particular source of the bulletin asked to remain anonymous, so don't ask where I got it....'cause I ain't talkin'! Just take and apply the following info and then enjoy whatever HDMI gear you've got without any more "freakouts".

This is a Service Menu adjustment that you can do yourself, so no need to wait on a tech to come and do it for you. Although Hitachi likely would rather a tech do it, I figure this saves 'em a few bucks in warranty service calls.

The intro of the bulletin states:

"Strange symptoms like TV shuts down, Tint Shifted, All Red or Pink picture, Sync loss, etc when using HDMI output from some Set Top Boxes. Ususally starts after warm-up period of 1/2 hour. May be temporarily corrected by AC reset or turning the TV Off and ON".

Sound familiar?

"Countermeasure: Make the following change to the I2C Service Menu."

Here's what to do.

1. Turn on TV (duh) and receive any signal.

2. Access service menu (hold down MENU button on front of set and press MENU, then 8, then SELECT on remote.

3. First page of sm appears. "ADJUST MODE DP6X" followed by SERVICE, SUB BRIGHT, etc. Scroll down thru settings list (or press MENU on remote twice) until the sm list that contains the parameter E2PROM appears. Highlight E2PROM and press SELECT.

4. E2PROM list appears. There will be a list of "ADDRESS"-es on the left (each ADDRESS will say A* and then 2 letters and or numbers. To the right of each ADDRESS will be a 2 digit DATA setting. These are what will be altered.

5. You will need to change most of these ADDRESS DATA parameters. Each one and what they are to change to will be listed below. What you are doing will change your set's software--this isn't a firmware fix.

Remember, after selecting and changing each of these, you MUST press SELECT on your remote before moving to the next ADDRESS. This puts the changes in memory. The list (including original and new settings) are:

ADDRESS DATA (Original/New)

0*A00 FF / 00
    0*A01 FF / 13
    0*A02 FF / 00
    0*A03 FF / C3
    0*A04 00 / 00 (no change)
    0*A05 00 / 0C
    0*A06 00 / 89
    0*A07 00 / 9C
    0*A08 00 / 00 (no change)
    0*A09 00 / 0C
    0*A0A 00 / 89
    0*A0B 00 / 9D
    0*A0C 00 / 05
    0*A0D 00 / 68
    0*A0E 00 / FC
    0*A0F 00 / 9F
    0*A10 00 / 89
    0*A11 00 / 0C
    0*A12 00 / 30

Again, make sure to press SELECT on the remote after each change!!!

6. Once you're done, exit the Service Menu and turn off TV. Unplug the set's AC from the wall/powerstrip/whatever for 5 SECONDS. Then, plug back in and turn TV back on.

7. Re-enter the Service Menu. Now you need to confirm that the fix has stuck. When you first enter the SM, where it says SERVICE/SUB BRIGHT, etc, there should be a code to the right of the ADJUST MODE DP6X. Prior to the fix, it should have said "V019" (white). If the fix took, it should now say "V195" (magenta).

If done properly, it should stick. You can now exit the SM and proceed to watch your HDMI-delivered video in all it's 100% digital glory.

You can all thank me (and my "source") later.

3. Rustbuket

Rustbuket Member

OOPS, wrong fix.. In that forum link i posted they discuss the shift problem and solutions to it. I didn't read it all because mine had the color skew problem, not shift problems.. yet...