1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upconverting DVD playback on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by VJbob, Aug 18, 2006.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I heard that the upconversion of regular DVDs are much better on the both new format players especially on HD-DVD players. Is this true because (since I already plan to buy a PS3) I can then justify buying an HD-DVD player and have the best upconverter HDMI player for regular DVDs.

I've heard it even plays better than the Denon 3910 which costs $1200.

Otherwise I was going to go with the Sony NS75 for DVD upconversion. Any help much appreciated.

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

The upconverting ability of the Toshiba HD-A1 has been touted in other sites. Many have sold or retired their upconverters when they got their HD-A1. This advantage of the HD-DVD player is more readily apparent for displays that have a subpar scaler. There's really no way to tell unless you try it out on your display.

See post number 10 on this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=711310

3. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I was looking at the Sony 50A2000 and CNET claims that the fault of this rear-projection TV is its 2:3 pulldown. Would that qualify as a subpar scaler?

Also, doesn't the Blu-Ray players upconvert to 1080p while HD-DVD is still 1080i? How come it seems the Toshiba HD-DVD player is getting all the rave?

4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

There are issues with the deinterlacer on the Samsung BluRay player. The Toshiba HD-DVD player and the Samsung BluRay have the exact same Broadcomm chip which decodes the 1080p data from the discs to 1080i. That extra 1080i to 1080p deinterlacing step on the Samsung is the one that has introduced the problems. Toshiba has decided that since most HD displays are 720p or 1080i they just left the 1080i signal alone without the additional deinterlacing step. My 1080p display - a Sony SXRD - IMHO does a better job of deinterlacing than the Samsung. Also the HD-DVD discs are using a better, more advanced codec than BluRay.

Maybe Ced can comment on your choice of the Sony 50A2000.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2006
  5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No, it would qualify the 50a2000 as having a subpar de-interlacer. Since last years SXRD had superb de-interlacing and scaling I would have to charge CNET with spreading mis-information (it has happend before). I don't trust CNET. Untill more reputable sources (ie Sound and Vision, AVS forum experts, Audioholics, ect...) make that claim I won't beleave the new SXRD's have poor video processing.

Ced

6. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Thanks Ced. I think eatsushi just got an A2000 series SXRD and an HD-A1. He should be able to give us some impressions.

7. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I agree with Ced and dblbogey7. I have the 60 inch A2000 SXRD and any 1080i input especially from the HD-A1 is handled very well. The Toshiba is an excellent upconverter. There is no need to worry about its 1080i output especially if you have a good deinterlacing 1080p display.

8. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

wow, thanks for the great info. I was debating between the Sony 50A2000 and the Samsung 5087 (since it has great menus, supposedly the best DLP and 1080p, and better full 1080p PC inputs) but since people here own the 50A2000 and its out of stock already at crutchfield.com I might purchase one for christmas.

How about the Toshiba HD-AX1, the step up for HD-DVD players. Is it worth the extra $400?

9. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

The following are features in the HD-XA1 which are not in the HD-A1 - mostly cosmetic and structural changes:

RS-232 port for control
    Motorized Front
    Motion Activated Backlit Remote
    Large insulated stabilizing feet
    All extruded aluminum construction (double wall)

Otherwise the internal components are identical. Probably not worth the extra $400 but you be the judge.

10. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

okay I'm pretty much sold on an HD-DVD player. I wonder why I never heard about the superior codec when they were talking about the format wars. Anyway, I read some reviews that said both Toshiba HD-DVD players need firmware upgrades and one reviewer at crutchfield said that the AX1 model has a different chip and different processing.

What bothers me is how come there is only one HD-DVD player? How come other brands aren't manufacturing one? Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung have Blu-Ray players. I was hoping to get maybe a next gen Toshiba HD-DVD player with all the kinks worked out or a player made by another company.

Also, the HD-AX1 is on sale at amazon for $670 including shipping, which I guess isn't too much more if you're willing to pay $500 for the standard model.

11. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

The HD-XA1 does not have a different chip or different processing.

BluRay has more support from hardware manufacturers but they are all playing catch up to a machine that costs half as much (less than half with discounts and one third the price of the Pioneer). You also have the RCA HDV5000 player and the upcoming 360 add-on.

You can wait for 2nd gen players or combo players (if someone gets around to making them) but in the meantime you will be missing out on the best PQ you will experience from your HDTV.