1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upconverting or HD-DVD question

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by pjclay27, Jan 9, 2007.

1. pjclay27

pjclay27 Member

I am thinking about buying the HD-DVD player for Xbox 360 but it only upconverts to 480p via component cables. I have an extensive collection of regular DVD's and I have thought about getting an upconverting DVD player that has a hack for upconversion using component cables. What is the best upconverting player available? I have a 51" Magnavox rear projection TV.

2. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

There are No players that upconvert through component...Upconversion is only available through HDMI...Sorry your out of Luck...

3. Bigperm88

Bigperm88 Guest

Ok, First LP531 is wrong. You can upconvert through component cables. The problem is, if your SD DVD has Copy Protection (Such as Macrovision)you will not be able to upconvert that disk via component; only HDMI.

To work around this issue with my HD-A1 i copy all my SD DVDs; hence removing the copy protection.

The HD drive for 360 doesnt upconvert. Pickup a HD-A1, it will upconvert and play your HD-DVD movies. And it much more affordable now that the A2 is out.

4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Bigperm is right that the HD-A1 can upconvert through component...It is however a HD/DVD player...not a SD/DVD player that upconverts to component...which is what pjclay27 asked...

5. Iam6321

Iam6321 Guest

H4000 HD Upscaling DVD Player

The Helios H4000 is the only player on the market that can bring your home theatre images to 720p or 1080i through component. I purchased this player at Christmas online for $149 to use with a Mitsubishi HC3 projector and it upconverts to 1080i and looks great.

Have fun!!

website
    http://www.helios-labs.com/us/products/h4000_overview.shtml