1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upconverting Vs. HD-DVD

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Ankoku, Oct 11, 2006.

1. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

I have my 7950GT Nvidia card connected to my Sony SXRD by a DVI/HDMI cable and I just set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 with great results. RTS and 1st person shooter games look good. I also record high-definition programs to my PC (firewire connection from a Comcast HD cable box) and the HD playback on this setup is excellent. Like I said just stay away from that S-video port.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2006
  2. lsymmonds

lsymmonds Member

Thanks for the advice dblbogey7 however I can't seem to find a Sony SXRD tv set on Circuit City's web site that says it has a dvi port. In fact each of the four tvs they carry say they do NOT have a dvi port. Can you tell me more about your tv, such as what the model name/number is and where you purchased your set. They each do have two HDMI ports. Is that what you are connecting to with a DVI cable?

Thanks!!

3. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

eatsushi is correct. There are newer, cutting edge video cards out there now that feature HDMI outputs with HDCP and these will of course need direct HDMI to HDMI connections to your display. However, you did mention that you had an Area51 laptop with an Nvidia card. Does this have a DVI out? If it does than you can connect this to an HDMI input on the SXRD with the cable that eatsushi showed and set your display resolution to 1920 x 1080.

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

6. lsymmonds

lsymmonds Member

Thanks guys. YOu've all given me some great advice on how to spend my bonus. Now all I have to do is wait to get it. :)

7. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I have the Mits 62" 1080p DLP TV with two HDMI inputs (one is PC compatible). I have my Dell laptop hooked up to a docking station with a DVI output. Then I use a DVI to HDMI cable to my TV.

I cannot get the image to fill the screen no matter what I try. The computer image appears as a box in the middle of the screen - maybe 60% of my total screen space.

Any ideas? Thanks!

8. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

It could be a limitation of your laptop's video card. Could you give us the specs?

9. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

My laptop is a Dell Latitude D600. The specs say:

Here a quote from ATI's website "Connect the notebook to a big screen television for a true cinematic experience with no sacrifice in quality." Here's the link for my chipset:

The only way I can use it with my TV is to place it in the docking station which has the DVI output.

Let me know if this is enough information - thanks!

Can someone tell me why my link is not a link? I used the add URL radio button during my post...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  10. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

A 32MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 probably can't do 1920 x 1080 that's why you're not filling up your 1080p DLP display. What's the maximum resolution that you have in your video settings? If it's not 1920 x 1080 then you really can't fill up your display. Maybe try powerstrip? Anyone else have any ideas?

11. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Thanks for the quick response. I am out of town and won't have access to my laptop until tomorrow evening. I will check the display settings then.

I am sure I tried the highest setting, but I thought it just increased the resolution with little effect on "filling the screen". I will try again when I get home. My guess is that I don't have the 1920 x 1080 option.

Still open for other ideas... Maybe the docking station has limitations??

12. rageouss

rageouss Member

Three questions...Thanks in advance
    1) I have my PC connected to my 32in LCD HDTV via DVI and my screen resolution is 1920x1080. Is my PC upconverting when I watch DVD with PowerDVD or should I buy an upconverting DVD player?
    2) I only have one DVI port so is there much difference if I use my DVI port for a DVD player and my PC on VGA?
    3) Also when I play action intense scenes It looks a little jerky...is that my graphics card or just because I am using my PC as a DVD player?
    Thank you

13. D1CK1E

D1CK1E Member

I have a 56" 1080p Samsung DLP. Is that $230 Oppo upconverting DVD player really worth getting and how much better is it than just a normal DVD player for playing on a DLP?

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

D1CK1E , take my word for it the Oppo is def. worth getting i have one with my Sony SXRD 60" and was amazed how much better the picture quality was. get it from amazon.com and get free shipping thats what i did

http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp

15. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Up-Converting

Either my two up-converting players suck, or the difference is so slight my crappy eyes can't tell the difference (which is very possible these days).

My players were not cheap, they are connected to a really decent 62" 1080p DLP, and the cables are Monster (please don't anyone start a string about digital is digital) I'm just saying the cables/connections don't suck.

PC on 1080p TV

My laptop video card can't handle 1920 x 1080, but turns out my Mits TV can't fill the screen no matter what (via the HDMI PC input). I read the manual and it has pictures (diagrams) in the back that show how the different PC resolutions and TV format settings would fill the screen. None show more than 75% filled.

Damn my need to be an early adopter - I'll bet the very next version of this TV does it all...

16. DonGio

DonGio Member

It’s probably not that your up-converting player sucks. The difference is slight, and in my opinion negligible. Think about it you are trying to produce data that just isn’t there, more fine detail from something that is less detailed. A chip can only do so much with processing technology. An example, take a small jpeg image and stretch it, blow it up…looks like crap doesn’t it? Why? The detail just isn’t there. I know this isn’t the same thing; just trying to use some kind of analogy.

It’s my belief that most people who are seeing huge differences with their upconverting players probably had a DVD player that didn’t produce that great of an image in the first place or they are just telling themselves they see it because that’s what they have been told. Up-conversion is just a gimmick IMO; something to keep people buying. For now stick with your current DVD players and wait a year or so for HD/Bluray prices to start coming down if cost is a big concern.

17. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I think best upconverting players right now are those based on the Silicon Optix Reon VX chip. Examples are the Denon DVD-2930CI and the Toshiba HD-AX2 (which also plays HD-DVD's).

18. D1CK1E

D1CK1E Member

The reason why I'm interested in upconverting instead of HD-DVD is that the media is cheap and I already have a very large collection of DVD backups. Does anyone actually have a 1080p Oppo upconverting player that thinks it ISN'T worth the money?

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

D1CK1E, i can tell you right now its the best upcoverting dvd player on the market for the money. it equal to the Denon thats costs 850.00.

if you don't like it you can get an refund. but you WILL like it

20. plutonash

plutonash Regular member

why not get and a1 or a2 for 350 to 400 bucks cheaper that will upconvert better?