1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upconverting Vs. HD-DVD

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Ankoku, Oct 11, 2006.

1. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

I've also done a side-by-side this time with an Oppo971 on an ISF'ed 60" A2000 SXRD. The A1 does a better job of upconverting IMO. I was going to put the 971 on EBay but I just gave it away to my kid brother who just got his first HDTV. He likes it a lot. Of all the players I've tried the XA2 is by far the best because of the Reon chip.

On the 360 add-on: error5 and the avsforum FAQ are correct. I've seen a friend playing a standard DVD upconverted to 1080p using VGA on a Samsung DLP.

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

eatsushi, you have a link on that A1 playewr i may get one also and use the Oppo 971 i have in the bedroom

3. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I don't mean you didn't. I was just speaking globally. What y'all are talking about is dead on. Up-conversion is not a generic process. It entails finding the correct cadence, proper de-interlacing or interlacing, and up-scaling.

I'm sure the HD-A1 looks better than the oppo.

We where selling the HD-A1 for $299 at my store a week ago. We are all sold out now.

Good posting,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  5. error5

error5 Regular member

Ced: My apologies if I over-reacted and all your points are well taken.

Anyway - $299 for the A1 is an absolute steal and a real bargain entry fee for HD. Hopefully we'll see a similar price drop in more retailers and online.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Sorry the HD-A1 was $199 not $299. The HD-A1 is the best deal in retail (after firmware upgrades). I don't know if any other Best Buy stores have them anymore but it was a good deal while it lasted.

@ error5,
    No apologies needed. I should have made myself more clear.

Ced

7. error5

error5 Regular member

$199 for the A1. No wonder it sold out.

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Ced, give us a heads up on that if they sell it for 199.99 again

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Its wasn't advertised. I didn't know about it till a guy returned one and we made a price tag for it. I guess BB was willing to take a loss on a couple of units so that the HD-A2 would not sell impeded.

Ced

10. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

well if i can find one for 299.00 i will buy it

12. distorto

distorto Member

will a hd-dvd play properly through an up-convert player? i just bought a samsung TXS-3082w and i am using a samsung upconvert player.

13. error5

error5 Regular member

HD-DVD's wont play on an upconvert DVD player.

14. Rob423

Rob423 Member

I'm going to have to agree with one of the fellas a few posts above.

I have a panasonic CRT/Digital TUBE style TV 30" widescreen 1080i.

I have the Sony upconversion player which is supposedly a good player the reviews are great on all sites i've searched.

I have it hooked up through HDMI.

Only 1 dvd so far looked somewhat improved which was ricky bobby taladega nights.

every single dvd i put in this thing either looks the same or worse then my previous panasonic non hd-upconversion player and that was using regular composite cables.

Is there a setting or something im missing? some of the screens look pixelated, the blacks are weird looking, the picture itself just looks poor compared to a regular non conversion player.

Any suggestions on maybe something thats not setup right?

when i watch HD TV ... HBO-HD or SHO-HD for example.. the movies on there completely blow away anything on my dvd player. And my cousin has the ps3 and i watched a few bluRays there on his LCD tv @1080p and that can't be touched by anything i've seen on this HD upconversion stuff... so im alittle puzzled on how people are saying the HDupconversion looks very close to HD material.

thanks,

Rob.

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

are you sure your upconverting the unit to 720p or 1080i with the remote ?

i can def. tell a difference with my Oppo -971 upconverter

16. distorto

distorto Member

i can't tell a difference between my xbox 360 without HD and my upconvert dvd player.

17. G1nger

G1nger Guest

Not sure you have it set-up right. I've got a Pana 34" CRT 1080i TV with a SONY upconverting player also hooked up via HDMI/DVI and my PQ is excellent. You can run through the various resolution settings but I find leaving it to the default "auto best resolution" looks the best. I leave the TV in "standard" mode and set the player for CINEMA 2.

18. Rob423

Rob423 Member

Alright I'm going to change the settings and pop in something like pirates of the carribean.

Thanks for the replies back, i got that silver Sony player. rated pretty good all around the net even on Cnet.

19. McNasty

McNasty Member

I'm having trouble accessing the AVS link. My question is, how can you use VGA output from the Xbox360?

I have a Std DVD collection and recently purchased a Sammy 56" 1080p. I'd like to view HD as well as my Std collection. The 360 route sounds interesting since I can get those players for about $130 on eBay.

20. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007