1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on Nero Vision

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mekaren, Jan 26, 2007.

1. mekaren

mekaren Member

This is basically for ukuser1 and donewell, re our prior messages. Got email from Nero today saying with newest Nero 7 you are unlimited in photos on a slideshow, as long as you don't use a menu. That's progress, at least. Thanks for your input. I've still got your suggestions printed out, tho', in case.

2. mekaren

mekaren Member

well, I thought it was going to be OK. I tried to download the update to Enhanced, and I had toOK download of DirectX9, clicked, and shut down. I don't even know if I got the download to Nero. Where do I find the version # of my Nero? On StartSmart it shows OEM version, with no serial #.

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

I don't know about the OEM versions, but I believe the serial numbers are built in, so you don't have one. It is only supposed to work with the drive it came with.

The version of Nero Burning ROM is normally the same as the Nero Version. If you have a product setup utlity (flame button on bottom right of SmartStart), it will also show the different version.

If you have NeroVision 4, you have Nero 7. If you have NeroVision Express, you have Nero 6. Whatever, look in the upper right in the Select menu page and see if you have an option for "Do Not Create a Menu"

4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

OEM versions also have serial numbers, if you check out one of your Nero history logs it should be shown there, however it's unusual if it's not showing. Open Nero StartSmart, click on Tools and then Nero Info Tools and the serial number should be in there.

5. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

6. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Well there you go, saltgrass has done some research and with that link provided you should be able to locate your serial number (personally I couldnt get the link to load)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  7. ukuser1

ukuser1 Member

mekaren thanks for the feedback.

I will download the latest Nero version and take a look and see if it is really true that > 99 pictures can be used in a slideshow (with no menu).

Cheers for the tip.

8. ukuser1

ukuser1 Member

mekaren

I did download Nero v7.7.5.1 and tested using Nero Vision v4.9.0.18.

I was able to create a slideshow with >999 pictures.

In fact I created 3 slideshows each having 1125 pictures, resulting in "3 titles and 1 menu"

The only odd thing I noted was the resulting claimed DVD size was to be 0.76 Gb even though I set the default "picture visibility time" duration value to 10 seconds for each slide (and applied to all slides). Also the default "duration of transitions" I set to 3.33 seconds, so each slideshow lasted about 3 hours 7 minutes, 30 seconds.

I would have expected a resulting DVD size to be huge (in fact not able to fit on a DVD at all), certainly not just 0.76 Gb. Quality setting was 8000 kbps.

Think about it. 3 x 3 hours of slides that's 9 hours to fit on 1 DVD (single layer).

As I post this I'm seeing what the "claimed" 0.76Gb DVD turns out like, by burning it to disc. I will update you on the result.

9. ukuser1

ukuser1 Member

Much to my surprise the burning DVD to hard disk is fine.
    The resulting VOBs played OK, as expetced on my computer.

Each slideshow of 1125 pictures resulted in a corresponding *.VOB of 197Mb. I had no audio tracks on my slideshows.

--- however I'm confused as to the kbit/s encoding used ----

It seems that Nero folks have been able to more efficiently create DVD slideshows. It the past a 3 hour slideshow would take the same as a movie of 3 hours. (I think!?) In this version of Nero it seems not to be like that, at least if no audio track exists.

Nero Showtime view>show additional info on OSD
    shows <blank> kbit/s

Thanks my 2 cents on this so far.

I'm happy that it seems slideshows will not take so much DVD space?

10. ukuser1

ukuser1 Member

To explain further what I meant by

--- however I'm confused as to the kbit/s encoding used ----

GSPOT v2.60 RC01 Current version
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

shows each 297mb vob as

MPEG-2
    I/L (interlaced)
    TFF (Top Field Firs, I set this value in Nero Vision manually before I did the burn to h/d)
    Len 45 mins (which is wrong, as length is > 3 hours)
    Frms 1,225, I assume that this is frames (which is the number of pictures in this case)
    kbps 26450 (which seems way too high as I set encoding to be high quality 8000 kbps)
    Qf 2551
    Pic 720 x 576 (PAL size)

so somehow Nero have been able to encoded slideshows more efficiently and perhaps GPOT cannot fully understand the encoding used.

I tested and if I add sound tracks to the slideshows then the required DVD space needed grows in line with the size of the sound track.