1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updated, need input, video card for new build

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by luke35whelan, Feb 7, 2012.

1. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Member

Im ready to build my new system and need a video card. I dont game on my PC, never will, thats what my PS3 is for. I wont be doing any heavy duty video editing eitheror using it on a TV. I've setteled on an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX board and a AMD FX-6100 CPU for sure. The Sabertooth board has no onboard video, which would be fine for what I do. I started looking at video cards and became more confused the more I looked. I dont need a high end card. Radeon, Geforce...? OK, now for the RAM. I'll be running Windows 7 64 bit. Cant make up my mind between 8GB or 16GB. Cost is a factor and it looks there are a lot more 8GB options that will work with my board. My question is, would there be a significant difference that I would notice, between 8GB and 16GB? I'll be ordering all the stuff in about a week. Any input would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

only need 8 gigs of ram & still overkill for you.

3. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Member

Kind of what I thought about the RAM. Any thoughts on the video card? Thanks by the way.

4. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Member

I've setteled on 8GB of memory. Still confused on which direction to go for a video card. Keeping in mind, I dont game, nor do I do any heavy duty video stuff on the PC either. When I look at "ideal" cards for this set up, Im pointed in the direction of high end cards for gaming and such. If I get a lower spec video card, will it effect the PC as a whole?

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no.

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

im using a gigabyte hd 4550 graphics card just google seached how much they are and seen them on new egg for $44.90.one of them should do your basic functions and a bit extra if you try anything else.

7. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Member

Thanks, checking it out right now

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why buy a sabertooth board if you're not after a high-end system? Apart from the fact that Asus boards are often quite unreliable (even the expensive ones), there doesn't seem any need to spend all that money on a board... Plenty of pretty inexpensive boards have integrated graphics.

9. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Member

I used several Asus boards in the recent past and have had good luck with them. I'm not going to game with this rig but still want somethimg decent. I was looking at an Asus board with onboard video, but thought the Sabertooth looked like a better board. Just for poops and giggles, I you were me, what you buy for a mid range build?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why the fx-6100? I assume you're aware they're pretty awful processors, but specifically need an AMD for something?

11. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Member

Im partial to AMD. I know Intel beats AMD processors of equal specs but at a much higher cost. This horse has been beat to death. Isn't the FX series going to replace the Phenom II ? At first I was going to get a Phenom II quad core but Newegg has been out of the better ones for a while. I read somewhere that the FX was the replacement fo the Phenom.

The system I'm replacing is an AMD 6400 dual core, 4GB of RAM on an ASUS M2N-E board with an Asus 256MB video card. Decent system a couple of years ago when I built it. If I'm going to replace it, I want to do so with something in the upper mid range. I dont "have" to replace it, I want too.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The fx was meant to replace the phenom ii but was a complete failure. The phenom ii x6 is much faster. If you want to stick with AMD, go with a phenom ii x6 instead.

13. luke35whelan

luke35whelan Member

Thanks Sam