1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updategate: Microsoft is now installing Windows 10 by default in Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by ireland, Oct 16, 2015.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

Updategate: Microsoft is now installing Windows 10 by default in Windows Update

MICROSOFT HAS taken another enthusiastic turn in its desire to get people to upgrade to the new Windows 10 operating system.

It now appears that some users of Windows 7 and 8 are being updated without even asking.

We reported a month ago that Microsoft is downloading images of Windows 10 to computers whose owners hadn't opted for the upgrade, in some cases taking up 6GB of the hard drive.

Microsoft has yet to fully answer our concerns surrounding Updategate, but we had a note yesterday from our original tipster, Mike Wallace, observing that a number of patches for Windows have been reissued.

Then this morning, in Ars Technica, our worst fears were realised: Windows 10 is manifesting automatically.

OK, well not exactly, but it is being ticked as a default option in 'optional updates' in Windows Update, meaning if you click 'update all' for your patches, you'll get upgraded without realising. It's a case of 'if all else fails, read the instructions' but let's face it, most people don't.

Microsoft has issued a statement confirming that it was a mistake. "As part of our effort to bring Windows 10 to existing genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers, the Windows 10 upgrade may appear as an optional update in the Windows Update control panel," the firm said.

"This is an intuitive and trusted place people go to find Recommended and Optional updates to Windows. In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing the check."

We can give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt on this one. It may well have been a mistake, but looking at the bigger picture we already know that Microsoft is unapologetically downloading the system image to Windows 7 and 8 users' hard drives despite implying that you have to 'opt in'. So assuming it's a cock-up, it's the last cock-up the firm needed in the way its new operating system is being rolled out.

We reported yesterday that new builds of Windows 10 currently being tested on the Insider programme will be the first to trigger the quietly trailed advertising on the Start Menu and Lock Screen.

And, despite repeated attempts, no-one is answering the questions that our readers still have about the whole affair. We'll keep trying for you.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...lling-windows-10-by-default-in-windows-update

Your PC may update to Windows 10 if you don't pay attention
    Microsoft really, really wants you on Windows 10. We noticed last month that it was downloading the optional Windows 10 updater whether you asked for it (and had space for it) or not

READ MORE
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/16/windows-10-update-pre-checked/

Windows 10 Upgrade Become More Creepy, No Option to Opt-Out
    http://thehackernews.com/2015/10/windows-10-upgrade.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheHackersNews+(The+Hackers+News+-+Security+Blog)

2. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

can you disable this shit?

3. ireland

ireland Active member

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I'm not having that problem as I hid those updates.

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hiding don't always work! I hide a lot and when it comes back the next time it is checked for instillation.. Never have updates set to auto install and always check them before OK'ing...... What a rat race! :(

6. ireland

ireland Active member

2oldGeek

I read it was just not software alone
    Microsoft reprogrammed a on board computer chip on all 7,8.1 and 10 computers with your computer number and update info.
    I can not remember the name of the chip or the link where I read it.

7. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Good afternoon 2oldGeek. Weekend 's here, wish I had a beer!
    How's that Win10 install treating you?

8. ireland

ireland Active member

cyclops1
    Good afternoon 2oldGeek. Weekend 's here, wish I had a beer!
    How's that Win10 install treating you?

MY ANSWER BELOW

Attached Files:

9. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Have 12 beers ireland

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

It's not treating me too badly, but, I always have a few before starting....
    My sentaments exactly!

I will probably be working on 10 until Redstone is released and hopefully have it where I'm not afraid to use it... lol.. Right now I have it running without any of my data or settings carried over from my 7 and intend to keep it that way......

11. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Bravo! I am going to try a Linux thing tomorrow, shh! Know anything bad about Ubuntu 14.04.3? I have a new hdd burning a hole in my hand. A few too many to start playing today!!!
    I need to fire up an old box for the 10 test, I'm not putting any thing valuable into a 10 box at this time.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  12. ddp

eventually I'm going to off-line my 3rd floor computer 1 tb hd & install win10 on a 500gig to see what 10 is like.

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Good for you, give it a try. It's mainly about security!
    I have Ububtu, Mint and Netrunner 16 that I can load up and use... have used others like Knuppix... I really enjoy playing around with different OS's but I guess Win 7 has allways had my heart because I have tweaked it and blocked out just about anything that could affect me..... If I find that Win10 is just too intrusive, I will stay with 7 until it dies or I convert completely to Linux.......

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

You will never know what it's like with it off line......

15. ddp

why is that as I don't want win10 to access the tb drive?

16. ireland

ireland Active member

THIS COULD BE THE SAME CRY SOON BY DDP

Attached Files:

17. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I guess I don't understand what you want to do.... I have 3 drives on this computer, 500GB boot and (2) 1 TB drives. I have a AOMEI image backup of my 7 and when it's running, it accesses all drives. I have a clean install AOMEI backup of Win 10 that can only access the boot drive when it's installed.. That is, unless I send it to another drive for something..
    The desktop, Libraries and data files are redirected to a second drive under Win7 and stay on the boot drive for Win10..

18. ddp

not likely as the 1tb drive won't even be connected when I install 10 on the 500gig hd.

19. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Some dumb asses like me still respect XP. I have a 14 year old box and it's like a friggin' tank. That is not an invitation to see who can break it!

20. ddp

I liked xp too but as ie8 was the highest used on xp I was having some problems with some sites & as I don't like chrome or firefox I had to upgrade to win7.