1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Matt75, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Matt75

Matt75 Guest

Thanks everyone for the help. I really do appreciate it. I just set the target size in shrink to 4300mb, as suggested. Before I started backing up the disc I went to the quality settings and noticed it won't let me check the deep analysis option now. I assume this is because I made the change to the target size? I will have to get some more memory I guess, 256mb is alot better than what I had on my first computer though. I'll keep you all updated how it turns out. Thanks again everyone, you guys are great =-)

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

good luck, keep us all posted :)

3. Matt75

Matt75 Guest

Hi again everyone. I thought I would drop in and let you all know that the pixelation problem is still going on. Here is what I have done so far to try to fix it. I updated my firmaware and installed it correctly. I sat the target size of shrink to 4300mb, I also updated Nero to 6.6.0.16, or at least I think that's what version it is now. I also tried burning the video using InstantCopy, which it actually let me burn it but the pixelation was still there. I have also tried just for the heck of it to burn it using another media type and it was still there. I guess there is only really 3 more things I can try (1. Get More Memory (2. Get A New Burner (3. Try better media. If it's not any of these I don't know what else to try. It seems like I have done everything I can besides these options. I am just wondering if I'm being to picky. Because the pixelation doesn't come up but only a couple of times and that's just for a brief moment. I realize that when compressing a dvd there will be quality loss, so I guess perhaps that it might be as good as it can get. What do you all think, if I may ask your opinions? Thanks everyone =-)

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i would STILL suggest getting and using better media, as per your 3rd option left to try~ :)

despite the compression, on my Taiyo Yudens, i NEVER have ANY pixellation, so, NO, you are NOT being too picky~ if you are anything like me, you want it PERFECT~ that's the whole point of making dvd backups right? why "settle" for something less?

i would put your #3 suggestion BEFORE your #2 one...getting GOOD media will ALWAYS be much cheaper than buying a new burner~! IF you are planning on getting a new burner anyways, why not at least TRY a burn using GOOD QUALITY media first before you drop down some $$ on a new burner...i've had people tell me "it's NOT THE MEDIA" so many times before and they actually went out and BOUGHT A NEW COMPUTER (the WHOLE THING, not just a new burner) because they were SOOOO 100% sure it wasn't a media issue~ :) lo and behold, you can imagine how stupid they felt when they replied and YUP, you guessed it, SAME PROBLEMS even with a NEW THOUSAND dollar computer~ LOL...i seriously feel NO pity for these people, saying, "i told ya so" just doesn't seem to cut it~ hehehe

good luck

docTY~

5. Matt75

Matt75 Guest

That's a good point. I think that is what I 'm going to do. It may very well be the media I've been using. I admit, I'm the kind who goes to Wal-Mart to get media, and they just don't have a very wide selection to choose from there. So I think I will go to Circuit City or Best Buy, maybe even Radio Shack and get some that has been suggested on here. Thanks for the reply =-)

6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

it's worth a shot Matt, spend a little bit of money before WASTING a lot if media is in fact the culprit~ :)

at the various local outlets, try to find the Fujifilm 8x dvd+r MADE IN JAPAN (on the wrapper) or the Sony 8x dvd+r MADE IN JAPAN (on the wrapper) again...these are BOTH genuine Taiyo Yuden discs, under a local recognized brand~ :) IF you are lucky enough to find a Fuji 8x dvd-r MADE IN JAPAN, this TOO is also a Taiyo Yuden manufactured media~ :) these are some of the BEST media on the market found LOCALLY these days, i rant and rant about TYs (Taiyo Yuden) media but once you try them, you will never go back~ :)

good luck~

docTY~

7. Matt75

Matt75 Guest

Hi everyone. I went today and got some different Maxells media. I got the ones made in Japan. Maxell DVD+R HighGrade. That didn't do anything for my problem. So I guess I will just go on down the line and try different media and see what happens. I wish there was a way I could find out what type of media is recommended for my system. But from the list here on the forum there isn't nothing that I know of for Gateway computers. Anyhow, I'll keep you all updated on this. Thanks again everyone =-)

8. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

@Matt75
    This is a long shot, but have you defragmented your hard drive lately? This can cause "pixies" also if your HD is fragmented. That and with your low memory problems, a fraged HD could be causing your pixies. Once you changed to good media, and slowed down your burn to 4x, the only other thing i can think of is a badly fragmented HD. Worth checking out.

9. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

**edit**
    Stupid computer did a double post..

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  10. Matt75

Matt75 Guest

Hi everyone. Well I have came to confess my sins tonight. I must admit I feel like a knucklehead. Last night I decided to take a look at the dvd I have been trying to backup for the last week now that kept giving me the pixelated scenes. Well, just my luck, on the original in the same spots it's pixelated also. I feel like a idiot now, coming here and wasting everyones time and efforts. But none the less I still learned that I need to upgrade my memory and perhaps my video card also. The video card suggestion came from Gateway, they're probably just wanting to sell me stuff though, lol. Anyhow, I apologize for taking up everyones time with this problem. But hey, I feel like I benefited from all of this. I now know a few things more about shrink and nero that I didn't know until you all helped me out. Not to mention I got to meet some pretty cool people on here. You guys rock!!!! Thanks again everyone =-)

11. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

No problem... and comeback anytime whenever you encounters new issues.

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

it's all good stuff, nothing wrong with wasting time (as you call it lol), as long as it gets someone going again ..

13. attar

attar Senior member

I quit.

14. Matt75

Matt75 Guest

lol, sorry attar =-)