1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating unlocked/jailbroken 3.0 to 4.0+

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by spookit, Aug 19, 2010.

1. spookit

spookit Member

Ive got an Iphone 3G on version 3.0 (7A341), modem firmware 04.26.08, and I would like to update it to at least 4.0 or whatever is newest/best, however, I would also like to keep it jailbroken/unlocked. I do have a normal (not iphone sim) ATT sim card, would I be able to use that to activate after the update? and what would be the best steps to take to update and keep unlocked/jailbroken?

Thanks

2. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

Hi! ^o^

Unfortunately, because apple has started "soft-signing" iphone 3g firmware, you will only be able to update to firmware 4.0.2, which currently doesn't have a jailbreak. Give it a few days, because a new version of sn0wbreeze is due to be released and this will allow you to update with a custom firmware and keep your unlock and jailbreak.

Don't update officially though as I don't know whether dev-team or anyone else for that matter is working on a 4.0.2 jailbreak software yet.

I will post here when ih8sn0w releases a new version of sn0wbreeze.

3. spookit

spookit Member

I will wait patiently for a reply then, thanks!

4. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

Actually, I lie... >.< I didn't realise that redsn0w still worked with 4.0.2. you can see it here. I always use custom firmwares myself now, but that's because I'm using a 3gs and I like that method better, because it allows you to add custom boot logos.

So you've got 2 choices, update with redsn0w using the instructions in the link above or upgrade with a custom firmware when sn0wbreeze comes out. as I said, I prefer to use a custom firmware because it doesn't update your baseband, but that's just my preference! ^o^