1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Alien13, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading my computer sometime this year. I really only want to replace the motherboard and CPU, but if needed I can do others. I really want to try and not spend too much, I am still in school, and my job is at KFC :)

Here are my current specs:
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8I848P(-L)
    CPU Type - Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (21 x 133)
    System Memory - 1536 MB(PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    Monitor - ViewSonic VP720 Series
    Video Card - RADEON 9600 PRO
    Sound Card - Sound Blaster Live 5.1
    Disk Drive - ST3120022A (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Disk Drive - WDC WD3200JS-00PDB0 (298 GB, IDE)
    Optical Drive - SONY CD-RW CRX230E
    Optical Drive - SONY CD-ROM Drive
    Optical Drive - SONY DW-U18A

We've had this computer for about 4 years. I have done a few upgrades. (Memory, Graphics card, DVD burner, Hard Drive)
    After the motherboard and CPU are done, I will look into a new dvd burner, and graphics card (possibly nVidia GeForce 8800).

The reason I'm asking here is I don't want to risk buying something without researching enough if its compatible with everything else.

Thanks, alien13.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

it may take a bit of work if you do not want anything but the motherboard. YOu will have to find one that will work with your processor, memory type, and graphics card & sound card (PCI, AGP or PCI-E). Other than that the rest should be pretty easy. Also finding one with two IDE channels that can each run 2 devices, for all of your DVD drives and one hard drive (if they are all IDE that is)

3. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Hey steimy,

Well, First I will do the motherboard and processor. And then once those two are done, I will move onto the memory, soundcard, graphics card, etc.

I will probable get rid of the cd-burner and replace with my dvd burner. so I will have dvd burner + dvd rom. And I have 2 hard drives, 1 IDE 1 SATA so thats another thing I need to look for.

Thanks for you help, alien13

4. steimy

steimy Active member

No problem, Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com are two sites where you can find out a lot about the parts you want and what customers who have bought them think.

5. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Cool, I will probably have to use those sites as reference sites, as I live in Australia. Not sure if they would post here.

What do you recommend to get for a CPU? I'm thinking of getting a dual core processor, but I'm not sure what to get.

thanks alien13

6. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Dual cores are the way to go. AMD just had a HUGE drop in their AM2 dual core cpus and Intel after April 22 will be doing the very same.

Here is what draws my attention to your upgrade. That video card of yours is an AGP if I am not mistaking. The thing is, finding an AGP motherboard, though not impossible is becoming very difficult.

If you are going to go dual core you must consider a motherboard that will do PCI-Express video cards.

7. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Ok thanks, and yeah it is AGP.

So, I need to look for a PCI-Express motherboard and dual core processor. Shouldn't be too hard.

If I went with AMD would these be ok?
    http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=21_204&products_id=3043
    http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=3502

Also, what do you prefer AMD or Intel. I am happy with the Intel I have now, our other PC has an AMD and it's ok, I don't use it much.

Thanks for your help. Alien13

8. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

If you prefer Intel by all means stay with them because their dual cores are tremendous. If you research some more you will read great things about them. The AMD dual core you linked to is also a great buy and an excellent dual core in its own right. I'd like to have it! If you decide to go AMD here are some AM2 boards that someone linked together for a compare and contrast:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2+1070921489+1073607587+1125627400+1074007595

NewEgg is in the US, but the information is good to have. The EPoX and the Gigabyte would be my first choices, but that is me. And you don't need SLi; some are Micro-ATX boards. Sorry I don't have anything on Intel boards but there is plenty of information.

Oh, yes, one more thing, an AGP card won't fit a PCI-Express board. You'll have to upgrade your card as well.

9. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanks for that link!

I probably will go with Intel. They are pricey at the moment, but by the time I have everything sorted out and the money ready I should be good to go.

Here is the Intel CPU I'm looking at:
    http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=21_29&products_id=3151

And the motherboard:
    http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=32_58&products_id=3189

Thanks again, alien13

10. dazila

dazila Regular member

Just Do graphics last or mid way throuhg that card is still alright and i bet lets you play most new games without lag.

11. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Alien13, you could probably find a cheaper Intel dual core that will still be an excellent upgrade. The money you save could go towards a really nice PCI-Express card. By the way, if I am not mistaking, Intel is supposed to be having a significant price drop of their own come April 22. So if you can hold off you may even stretch your money further.

12. steimy

steimy Active member

was thinking that same as above. I know newegg.com (in the USA) sells that same chip for over $100 less.
    I just do not know any stores in Australia. Unless you really plan to do big things you can just get an E6400 2.13GHz and get motherboard and RAM that is made for overclocking. You can easily make the 2.13GHz processor run at 2.4GHz and save money for a good graphics card. And my system has no problem playing high end games.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  13. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Exactly. Good advice.

14. steimy

steimy Active member

Zeyf414
    Yeah, overclocking can give you more for your money for sure. I need there to be a price drop on Quad-Core :)
    since my motherboard supports about everything, including those.

15. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

16. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Yes, good choice. Look how much money you saved and still got an excellent dual core that overclocks well (if you are into that) and leaves you money to spend elsewhere. I know nothing about the board. I take it you'll eventually be going for Quad Core? if not, i am sure you can find an excellent board for less and then even more money saved. :)

Edit Update: I went to newEgg.com and that board has strong reviews. here is the link if you want to read up on it. Also, check out the specs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  17. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanks. Yeah, I will overclock it, if I feel I am capable of doing it.
    As for quad core, I chose this board for the option to update it when needed, so yeah, I probably will get a quad core later on.

Cool, seems like a nice board!

If I go for those 2 atm I'm looking at paying:
    CPU: Price: $309.00
    Motherboard: Price: $205.00
    Total: $514.00

Thats before the prices for the CPU drops.

[Edit]: I found a cheaper site:

CPU: Price: $275.00
    Motherboard: Price: $158.00
    Total: $433.00

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  18. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Keep in mind you are going to need to get new RAM and a new video card. When you get finished you are going to have a powerful new system.

19. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  20. steimy

steimy Active member

all of those look like good choices. Corsair is a good name in RAM. And i have an Nvidia GeForce 7600GT and the card works great (although mine is made by XFX)
    One thing you want to ask them, as that site doesn't list it. Is what core that E6400 has. You want to make sure it is an E6400 Conroe (not sure if Allendale makes a version of the E6400 or not but just to be safe)

here is a very interesting article you can read on the E6400 and the potential it has. As far as overclocking i thought it was some highly technical thing. Reall it is not. To get 2.4GHz all you need to do is go into the motherboard BIOS settings and raise the Front Side Bus (FSB) settings from the stock 266 to 300. there you have it, your running at 2.4GHz per core. And that is a modest overclock really. YOu can get a lot higher with better cooling and raising voltage on your memory. Personally 2.4GHz per core and being safe about it was the way i wanted to go. when i am ready for a new system then i will push the limits.