1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade for Dell 8250

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dayoff, Dec 23, 2004.

1. dayoff

dayoff Member

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I would find something else from dell to spend the $100 ... then go to newegg and get a LiteOn 167 for $30 and the new Plextor 716 (right now is $117.99 once you get the $30 mail in rebate.)

3. dayoff

dayoff Member

I have another 14 mos. service and don't want to void the warranty. They offer the 712A for $77 after rebate and a BENQ DW1620-0C2 so I have 4 to choose from. I just figured that I might as well add another burner vs. replacing the dvd-rom.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  4. flip218

I wouldn't get two burners.

5. dayoff

dayoff Member

Will that not work? I don't know that much about CPU's but figured I may as well add a burner instead of replacing with another dvd rom. Will there be performance issues or what would be the difference. I figured as long as it reads at 16x then it will do the same as a rom + burn. Can you explain, please.

6. flip218

DVD Roms rip much faster than burners. Read speed and ripping speed is different. Most burners only rip at 2x, unless you get a hack firmware. Also, sometimes you can get errors because you have two burners on the same ide channel (some don't). But again, biggest reason is the rip speed.

7. dayoff

dayoff Member

Flip, Thanks for the info. I guess I'll change the rom. Do you know if there's a hack firmware to make it +r readable, if it's even possible?

8. flip218

Your burner is should be able to read both formats, but only burn +R(RW) media. Any DVD ROM should be able to read both formats.

9. dayoff

dayoff Member

I have the Samsung SD-616T and it doesn't read +r. Even Dell confirmed that it won't. I will call them back for replacement model #'s and post back.

Have a Merry Christmas!

10. flabob

flabob Regular member

Hey Flip and Day

you guys helped me out before,so i have a question relating to this thread ..i think .. :O))

first..Day...i also have a dell 8250 with a nec 11ooa...after a lot of experimenting and help from this group...i can burn and watch any dvd+r' and +rw's....ill be glad to tell ya if ya still have the problem

i am thinking of getting a extra burner or something of what Flip suggested...i no nothing of how to know what to get...can i get an extra one to usb port to my dell...

or should i wait till april(when i saved my money) and get a whole new system (up to 2000 dollars) worth...do you guys have a site i can read up on what to get...i see stuf out there with 1 to 9 trays..thx for any input here..happy holidays

bob

11. flip218

flabob,

You can run your burner off a usb port. My plextor premium is enclosed in a usb enclosure. Dell uses usb 2.0 so you'll be fine as far as transfer speed. One suggestion though .. If you do buy a new dvd burner, put the new on in the dell and put the old on in a usb box.

Did yours come with a dvd rom and a dvd burner? If you do buy another one, build one ... it's worth it.

12. flabob

flabob Regular member

Flip merry x-mas to ya :O))

my dell came with a 16x dvd-rom drive...im not to clear on wht a rom is ..i can burn cd's 16x speed aproximmately 3 minuets to burn..and my dvd's take 20 minuets cause i use 4x +r's or +rw's

im haveing a hard time finding a site that tells you the differance between a dvd-rom and a burner...and Flip...what is an external burner..do you know i good site i can read up on this stuff...

any suggestions you have would be great (on what to get,and where to read up on it)..thx again

bob

13. flip218

A dvd-rom is just a reader, it will not burn anything. A dvd burner will do both, it will read as well as burn.

The reason we recommend using a dvd-rom is becuase it will rip faster than a dvd burner. Average rip speed with a dvd-rom is 5-8x, and ripping speed for a dvd burner is 2x (max ... unless you get a hack firmware). Also, it puts less wear on your burner.

An external is just what it means, it runs outside of your pc. The other is an internal drive, which is inside your pc.

I said put it in a external enclosure because it would be cheaper. The box is around $30 and you can just get an oem drive to put in and you would save money.

I buy most stuff off newegg.com

14. dayoff

dayoff Member

Flip,

The reason I need to change is to make backups of my backups. So if I don't need to rip'em would the speed of a 16x external burner be the same as the rom when doing disc to disc copy? I did one and it took like 13 minutes at 4x.
    This way I can use the external with my other cpu's.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2004
  15. flabob

flabob Regular member

thx Flip

so, what ill do,is go to newegg and look for an external burner right?.. do you recommend any paticular brand for my dell

bob

16. flip218

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  17. flip218

dayoff,

If your problem is with your dvd rom, just replace that.

18. dayoff

dayoff Member

Flip,

Thanks! I ordered the NEC ND-3500A and am still deciding on the rom. Can I add a dvd-rom/cd burner drive on top of this or is that no good. If that will create problems then I will take whatever rom they offer for this system. i just want to make sure my new setup will rip as quick as the current one, which does Deep Analysis in about 25-40 minutes.

Lite-On SOHC-5232K or a Dell branded dvd-rom?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005