1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from Nero 5.5 to 6? What a rip!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by roonsa, Oct 23, 2004.

1. roonsa

roonsa Member

I recently decided to get a DVD Burner which works brilliantly well. I use DVD Clone 2 and it works like a dream! However, now I can't burn CDs because I have Nero 5.5 and it apparenlty doesn't support my shiny new DVD/RW. I've been told that I need to upgrade to Nero 6 which is going to cost $70. I refuse to pay that kind of cash just to have a program that will do exactly the same thing before I switched from a CD/RW to a DVD/RW. Esepcially when I'm only looking for limited functionality, I don't want all the bells and whistles that Nero 6 offers. So, can anybody tell me if there's a nifty little package that can do the following and doesn't cost $70?

1) Burn from WAVs or MP3s.
    2) Burn in disc-at-once mode.
    3) Decode from WAV to MP3.
    4) Apply track volume normalisation (although that isn't really necessary as I can use MP3 Gain for that).
    5) Copy a CD from my DVD Player to my DVD Recorder.

That's it really. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Have you tried to GOOGLE your way to "" Burning software +Free ""

There are quite a few available !
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2004
  3. roonsa

roonsa Member

Really? I think you'll find that it's a bit more difficult thank that to find a tool that will carry out all the functions I specified. Also, when I said "disc-at-once" I meant be able to burn "mix" CDs without the 2 second gap between each track.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Well I just found two in Google !

5. roonsa

roonsa Member

Thanks. You've been a great help.

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

7. roonsa

roonsa Member

According to the secure online shop on nero.com, the upgrade from 5.5 to 6 costs $69.99 plus shipping of $9.00. Alternatively you can get the upgrade downloadable serial number for $39.99. Considering that 5.5 did what I wanted it to do, I don't want to pay again. I understand why any version 5 can't be supported indefinitely. However, the fact of the matter is that I don't want to pay to upgrade a product that did what I wanted it to do prior to me changing drives. As for the freeware you mentioned, they either don't have all the facilities I require or are riddled with spyware. Thanks for your help anyway.

8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

I did not give you any freeware .

I downloaded one here and it does what you want -- has no spyware !

Check this page here on Nero website for the cost of UPGRADING -- where you can use your internet connection , get a serial number and activate Nero Version 6 -- burn it yourself to a CD if you feel like it after.

http://www.nero.com/us/nero6_upgrade.html

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

For what it's worth Copy To DVD has been the best burning suite I've ever had the pleasure to use. Nero and RecordNow have been gathering "virual dust" ever since I installed it :)

It goes for around $50 here:

http://www.vso-software.fr/copytodvd_english.htm

10. Nephilim

Another option would be to pick up an OEM version of Nero 6 for dirt cheap on ebay :)

11. reddog19

reddog19 Guest

why bother at all , neros a pile of c**p , if you encode a file to vcd or dvd then nero "express" will re encode it usually badly , if its dvd files for burning use mainconcept to encode to vcd or dvd then use tmpgenc dvd author to file and burn , neros on any use for backing up folders and with the advent of sp2 it wont even do that for alot of folks

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you try checking nero for updates for your 5.5. last update i have is for 551056 & didn't you get burning software with your dvd burner

13. dp70

dp70 Member

Nero 6.x upgrade from their ww site is fairly priced. The inclusion of Dolby Digital w/6.x is worth the upgrade price. Remember 321 and Open Range on Sony machines? I used Nero Recode to remove the 321 nag scr and when Nero finished w/ it, my Sony player no longer skipped chapters to the end. 321 has yet to addrress a cure.

Nero, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink are all superior products. and 6.X gives you more options for both audio and video, just test drive the trial version. It is free for 14 days.

Anyone know what a DP70 is?

DP70/john

14. roonsa

roonsa Member

Look, thanks to everybody for the replies. All I'm looking for is somebody to point me in the right direction of a simple freeware or low cost shareware CD Burning package (spyware free) that can do all the things I specified in my original post. I'm not looking for info on burning DVDs. Nor am I looking for anyone to patronise me by smugly saying "well I've done it". If you can give me the information I require, thanks, please reply to this post. If you can't, or are not prepared to, please don't bother.

Thanks again.

Roonsa.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  15. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Your being alittle snooty arent you -roonsa-

-Jeanc1- clearly gave you the right path to look and you turned your head and decided to ignore him.

-Nephilim- also gave you an excellent program to go with and you also ignored his suggestion.

If your gonna be an ass then don't ask.

16. roonsa

roonsa Member

Geestar.

It was not my intention to come across as an "ass" as you put it. I agree that Nephilim was trying to be helpful so I apologise if my last post seemed snooty towards him. I disagree about the other user you mentioned, I don't think his comments helped at all.

Roonsa.

17. mike3zd3

mike3zd3 Guest

[REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2004
  18. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Well then, it might be worth your money to invest in nero6 ultra edition. It can do all that you asked in your original post.

19. Nephilim

mike3zd3

Let's have a look at ther forum rules. Providing or discussing cracks isn't permitted.

20. roonsa

roonsa Member

Thanks Geestar. I feared you were going to say that but I'll download the trial version in the meantime and see if any freeware magically appears during my trial run.

Once again, I do apologise for the snooty tone in my last-but-one post.