1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade motherboard, dvd-rom drive not detected in BIOS

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by uponthis, Dec 7, 2007.

1. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

Motherboard: PCChips P17G Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Pentium D 925 Processor 3.0GHz OEM http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ils.asp?EdpNo=3433518&CatId=2235#warrantyinfo
    or http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3433518&CatId=2235

Dvd burner: NEC NEC ND_3550 .
    Can not get the NEC detected in the bios. Triing to get this set up and install XP. Don't know what i'm doing wrong. Having to use the cable for this and not the ribbon. The burner was detected fine with the old motherboard in it. Sure could use some help with this. Thanks!!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have you set the jumper for the DVD drive correctly?
    If you have, it may just be a faulty motherboard. The quality of PC chips boards is terrifyingly bad, so it may be that you need the motherboard replaced.

3. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

I would check what has been mentioned before.

1) Jumpers on optical drive.

2) Correct cable used for this. (Sounds daft but make sure its at least a Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA cable rather than the older 40-conductor kind).

3) Ensure that if you are using a primary / secondary drive on the same IDE channel that you have this set up correctly (i.e. not cable select mode etc on the harddrive).

4) Double check the settings within the BIOS to ensure that the system is configured correctly.

5) Upgrade the BIOS to the latest version here.

Let us know how you get on!

4. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

I got it going. A friend suggested i try putting the dvd drive on the master setting of the ribbon and the harddrive on the slave section. Sure enough, it took it and asked for an installation disk. Never tried it like that and was leary of it but it's working. I tried all positions for the shunts/jumper and it wasn't doing nothing.
    Got it going and it's a vast improvement over the 1.3 ghz that i had with other motherboard.
    Thanks guys.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Still doesn't sound right, you shouldn't ever have any issues running the drives the other way round, I always ran IDE hard drives as master...

6. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Same here. Sounds like Cable Select option used on harddrive / optical.

7. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

The only problem i'd have with the master/slave settings is that the ribbon wouldn't be long enough putting the master on the harddrive and slave on dvd drive. Already had to move the burner down to it would work with the ribbon.