1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade query

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ZebUK, Apr 7, 2006.

1. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Hi all,

I've got an AMD XP2100+ running at 1.73GHz thats running at a constant temperature of 77 degrees centigrade and the computer reboots when I try to do anything processor intensive (ie. encoding video while watching silly online video clips)

Its about time I replaced the CPU as its been in the machine for a few years now and have decided to get a new motherboard as well and have therefore opted to buy an AMD64 chip along with a socket 939 board.

I'm not too familiar with these socket 939's and am wondering whether I should buy a better fan for the CPU than what will probably come with the purchase. Do I need to buy a better fan and/or heatsink or will I be able to run everything without worry of temperature?

I don't do anything processor intensive on a big scale as the machine is mainly used for web design and Photoshop.

2. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

77 Celcius?!?!?! HOLY SHIT thats WAYYYY too high. I run at about half of that.

939 and AMD64 is the way to go yes. Make sure you have good enough cooling for sure. A bunch of fans. A BIG heatsink with a copper plated bottom and a good heatsink fan is always worth splurging some extra cash into. Keep your CPU cool to keep it happy. Also, Extra ram will take the load off of your processor if your having problems with processor intense operations.

77 Celcius seems way too high... are you overclocked?

3. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Nothing is overclocked plus I've checked the current CPU fan and heatsink and both are clear of dust.

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Try to reseat the CPU, take it off re-apply very thin layer of good compound and then put the fan back on.
    Make sure the BIOS is not set for cool and quite mode as well.

The Coolers that come with the 939 CPUs are generally very hefty devices anyway, you shouldn't need to change it unless you start overclocking, or you have higher than average ambient temperatures, or you are going for a quieter system

5. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

Many thanks for the advice, I'm not worried about the machine being quiet as I've sort of got used to the noise and would find near silence a bit eery :D

I'll check the BIOS when I reboot the machine and will get myself some compound to apply to the CPU and see if it makes a difference.