1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade suggestions.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mr_Del, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I want to give my system a little upgrade to gain speed and hopefully fix some problems. Here is what I have.

Asus K8N-E delux
    AMD 64 3200
    1 gig Kingston Hyper X (2 moduels)
    350 watt PS (HAd a 450 watt but it died)
    ATI Radeon x800 (AGP)
    1 SATA 120 GIG WD (Boot drive)
    1 IDE WD 160 GIG
    1 IDE DVD-R\RAM\DL
    1 IDE WD 40 gig
    1 80 GIG WD Pasport (USB bus powered)
    1 PCI Lynksys WIFI card

I have fallen behind the curve and notice there are many different type of things to choose from now. This system is about 3 years old now. I am not rich so I have to keep it as cheap as possible.

I do not want built in video and am hung on ASUS and AMD. I am looking at the AMD 64 x2 chips.The problem I hope to resolve is random system lock ups. Does not appear to be software related. THe system upgrade must be geard tword gaming. I have noticed newer games tend to run choppy now. That must be signs the system has become dated.

I do notice that AGP is no longer an option so I will have to get a new vid card. I am wanting the new VID card to be Nvidia. There again is so many diffrent companies make them and Nvidia themselfs does not seem to make them. 512 would be nice but may be out of my price range. Right now I seek the MB, processor and VID. Hopefully to fall between 150 and 250 but this may be unrealistic. If it exceeds it a little I can manage. I may have to go piece by piece and I dont need the latest and greatest. Just something that may be 3 or 4 cards above the performance of my current settings. I need many USB ports. Do not care about Firewire.

This should be enough info.

Thanks

-Del

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

uhh, whats your budget? Under $1000?

You can probably get a
    7600GS PCI-e
    AMD x2
    ASUS mobo
    Antec PSU 500watt, $100
    2GB kingston value ram $120

thats prolly about $700 there, then you need a HDD, doesnt matter (although I would go with WD, they're good)

You said you wanted alot of USB ports? You can get a USB splitter (make 1 usb port into 4, 6, or 8) for like 20-30 bucks.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007