1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgraded to wind XP now I have a silly but vexing prob for me.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Tallula, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Tallula

Tallula Guest

A silly but vexing problem for me.I have upgraded from wind 98 to wind XP and I have a speedtouch broadband modem. But since upgrading I get cut off internet after 20 min or so. Is there something i'v forgotten to do when i loaded in my speedtouch info. HOW and WHERE do i do it and where do I look? I have to keep manualy clicking connect every time and cant leave it to download anything as it dissconects itself. I think it might be on a disconect if no activity is shown????

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check your internet options to change disconnect time

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Usually auto disconnect is only for Dial-Up ISP’s and broadband is an “Always On” scenario. I would also make sure that there isn’t some override settings built into your SpeedTouch Modem. Try their website for setup also.

[​IMG]

4. Tallula

Tallula Guest

where will i find advance dial up?

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Open your IE browser and at the top you will see Tools, start there:

Tools
    Internet Options
    Connections
    Settings
    Advanced

But remember, this is for Dial-Up.

6. Tallula

Tallula Guest

how can I stop this happening with my speedtouch monem? is there anything else I can try?

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

If it worked once then it should work again.

Don’t take this the wrong way but I know that my own brother-in-law didn’t even know that his broadband connection, cable but only around 400, was never hooked up. He actually was using dial-up all that time until I came over and fixed it for him. If it kicks out at 20 minutes, what does your dial-up setting show now? 20 minutes or is the box unchecked? Have you tried a speed test to make sure it’s broadband? Again, don’t get mad, just asking. Have you checked “network connections” to make sure your broadband connection is there and also checked its settings? Try some of those and again, don’t get mad at me asking. I never would have thought that either until it happened with my Brother-in-law. Thanks

8. Tallula

Tallula Guest

no prob im not offended lol. In internet options the box is deffnatly unchecked. Speedtouch dial up is my default in connections too.But for some reason its not doing it so much. If it continues i'll contact my internet provider. Even I didnt think of that lol
    Tank you for all the support and help its much apreciated. Scubabud Love to you from Scotland xx

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Tallula

Scotland, wow, what a beautiful country! At least the pictures look nice. :) And thanks for the xx's :) Love back from Florida!

Anyway is this correct?

Is this correct, "Dial Up"? Like in a back up phone number when broadband is down? That might be our problem if it is set to "Default". Do you show, [bold]LAN or High Speed[/bold] under Network Connections with a Local area connection?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005