1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading a new HDD for Xbox problems

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by devall, Dec 31, 2007.

1. devall

devall Member

I have a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 80 gig Model-6Y080L and I used XBOXHDM to make a Linux ISO boot disc. Let me start from the beginning. I have successfully softmodded two Xbox's. My second softmod I installed a Hitachi 80 gig hard drive and I used Xboxhdm. It worked perfectly. I didn't have any problems. I got another Xbox and decided to softmod it. Well I used the same method, Splinter cell save, and I backed up everthing; MS, Mod, and the Eeprom. Whenever I went to go install a larger drive, I used Xboxhdm again. I copied the C and E folders. But when I went to go copy the Eeprom.bin, it wasn't in UDATA or E:\backup\MS. At first I thought, I forgot to backup the Eeprom. So I went back in the Evox main menu and I backed up the Eeprom. I then went back and looked for the Eeprom file. I couldn't find it. It still was not showing up. I didn't know if I was looking in the wrong place or what. So I put Config Magic on the hard drive because I couldn't find the eeprom file. I finally go the eeprom.bin file from Config Magic. I thought I had it all figured out. So I transfered the eeprom file to xboxhdm and I then made a ISO image. Then I burned the Image in a raw format (.nrg). After that, I put my Maxtor hard drive in my PC that I intended for the xbox and set it as master. It booted up to menu, I hit 1 {Boot VGA Console with Xbox-Drive Utilities (default) and hit enter. Following that I choose to Press 1 (Build a New Xbox HD from Scratch). It then copied the files from C and E. After all that was done, I restarted the computer and when the menu came up again, I Pressed 3 (Boot Linux with Locking/Unlocking Utilities). Then I typed lockhd -a. It takes about a minute, but it comes back and says, Linux Cd not found Insert it and try again. I have done everything that I know to do and I am really pissed off because I am getting no where and I have been working on this for weeks. I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Maxtors are notorious for not locking, also, make sure that the 'eeprom.bin' is labeled correctly!

3. devall

devall Member

I had a Seagate Hard Drive and it did the same thing. I ended up selling it on ebay and buying a Maxtor. I have a 80 gig Western Digital, does it matter if it is ATA-100?

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Try a different computer, maybe the BIOS is causing you the headaches!?

5. devall

devall Member

I just sold my old computer. I have been saving up to buy a new one. It worked on my old computer. What other programs can I use to lock the hard drive besides xboxhdm?

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Stick with that one and DO NOT TRY TO TYPE PASSWORDS!

If the eeprom files are failing, you or the machine is having an issue! At this late stage in the game, my experience tells me that XboxHDM is stable, reliable and should be the only way to go about locking and unlocking!

It is also the safest as you can ALWAYS undo what changes you make!

7. devall

devall Member

It seems like xboxhdm isn't compatible with some mobo's. I was wondering if you know which motherboards BIOS are more compatible?