1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading and unlocking iphone 3g 2.2

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by Jubecron, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Jubecron

Jubecron Member

Hey yall, I have an Iphone 3g in firmware 2.2 still, I've been rather nervous to upgrade becuase i dont want to be stuck with a half dead iphone but I really want to upgrade now. Can anyone give me a step by step guide to safetly upgrade my phone to the 3 series and unlock it?

THANKS A MILLION!!

2. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

Hi! ^o^

IPhone 3g is quite easy to do compared to the newer models. You've got 2 choices, you can either upgrade to 3.1.3, or 4.0.2. You'll need to update itunes before doing anything though.

3.1.3 Guide:

First, download the 3.1.3 firmware from here and restore on itunes by holding the shift button and clicking restore. Then browse to the downloaded software file. it will then restore. You can then jailbreak with spirit, which you can download from here and follow on screen instructions.

4.0.2 guide

For 4.0.2, you will need to download the 4.0.2 and 4.0 firmware files from here and restore to 4.0.2 using the above method.then jailbreak using redsn0w. Launch redsn0w and follow on screen instructions, making sure to select the 4.0 firmware when asked to select which firmware is on the device, NOT THE 4.0.2 FIRMWARE.

If you need more help, just reply here.

Sorry for it being so brief, I quickly typed it up before leaving for work, but you should get the general idea... lol

3. Jubecron

Jubecron Member

I havent got a chance to try it yet because my wifi router is down and i'll need the wifi to unlock but thanks a million. This is much appreciated. I have one more question though. Will i be able to upgrade to 4.0.2 if i upgrade to 3.1.3?

thanks again

4. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

You're welcome! ^o^ Yeah you will be able to. You can always upgrade the device and with the iPhone 3g, it will always have a jailbreak and unlock before other devices. Still waiting for 4.0.2 for my 3gs... >.< You wont be able to upgrade to 4.0 or 4.0.1 though, because apparently apple have started to sign the firmware for 3g and they've stopped signing those 2 now because 4.0.2 is out!