1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading Chip = error 16=Grey Hairs

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Alfie, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Alfie

Alfie Member

Hello to all,

After reading nearly all of the threads regarding 'error 16' i have yet to find i direct solution for myself and hopefully one of you guys maybe able to shed some light onto the problem.

Firstly the story,

My xbox is a V1.0 or maybe V1.1 since i bought it in 2002.

I originally had one of the old 30+ wire enigmah chips inside.

I had installed evox dashboard.

and everything was running fine, until i noticed that some of my latest backups were not running but were on another system that had an executer 2.3 ite installed.

So i decided to get with the times and replace my chip with a executer 2.6 lite.

And this is were it started going wrong.

On the removal of the old chip i damaged 2 tracks, great start there then.

However i managed to fix these tracks with some fairly niffty soldering.

So after that i booted up my xbox, and as kind of expected i get the red light flashing and a error report saying 'error 16' after researching this i realise i hadnt terminally damaged the motherboard, as it was still booting up to something at least.

so after a little more reading and trying to understand the 'error 16' message i thought it might have something to do with my xbox trying to boot into evoxdash without having a mod chip installed, so i went ahead and installed my executer 2.6 lite. The result was still 'error 16' obviously the chip is using the pre-installed cromwell bios, as i cant flash as my xbox isnt working.

However after further reading of this forum, i came across the discussion that my clock will have been erased, which i understand as it was disconnected for a 24+ hours.

So to trim this all down, my xbox boots to the 'error16' message.

Which means i have no possible access to my HD, as it wont boot up on a CD or let me FTP into.

So guys how do i solve this problem, hope you can help!

Thanks in Advance

Alfie

2. uratowel

uratowel Member

hey i have the same damn problem!!!!!
    i have a 1.5 xbox and an aladdin chip.. evox died cuz of a bad flash and i have no ack-sess to my hdd.
    just to let ya no i feel your pain and
    any help would be awesome.
    thanks

3. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Enigmah's used to boot to Evox only if the files was called xboxdash.xbe on C:. Meaning... Xboxes couldn't have both MSDash and Evox at the same time.

Just flash your chip, and it will boot to Evox. From there, ftp in to your C:, and call the evox file evoxdash.xbe and restore a working copy of the MSDashboard. You should be set.

4. Alfie

Alfie Member

Its a good point about the evoxdash.xbe, unfourtanetly i am yet to find away of flashing my new chip.

However after searching my PC i noticed i had made a complete back of my xbox when i first chipped and installed evox all those months ago, and managed to find my HDD unlock key!

So i followed a tutorial from xbox-scene to unlock it then tried to find some info on how to access this HD on my PC, in which i will be able to reinstate the original files .

However after downloading a few programs fatexplorer, fatxplorer etc they all managed to detect my xbox drive on my PC, and thats when i got stuck.

So my new question is How do you edit the files on a Xbox HDD when its accesible through your PC!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TIA

5. gtaxbox

gtaxbox Regular member

Haven't ever done it so I can't help you out there. If you have a friend with a modded Xbox, put your unlocked HD into their Xbox and restore the files that way.

6. Alfie

Alfie Member

Just bit the bullet and bought a new HD while i try and figure out how to read my old one.

Thinking that i could just install my executer 2.6, plug in the new HDD and then boot up using a copy of auto-slayer 2.5.

However still the same problem 'Error 16'

Next i thought id try renaming my auto-slayer's default.xbe to evoxdash.xbe and re-burn it, plug in the original Hard-disk and try again.

However im a little confused too why i still get this error 16.

Any ideas???

7. szesty

szesty Member

I have the same problem with my little brothers xbox right now. Even when I put my working hard drive with everything on it, his still doesn't load a damn thing. Any help on this matter would be great, otherwise, I think I'll just have to buy a new box.

8. Alfie

Alfie Member

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I BOUGHT I NEW CRYSTAL XBOX.

And im gonna try swapping bits over to see if i can isolate the fault.

Will let you know if i get anywhere