1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading Computers.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by theoipod, Apr 19, 2006.

1. theoipod

theoipod Guest

[bold]what computer should i purchase if i love playing computer games and like big hard drives

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

A very expensive one!

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

@BigDK: ROFLMAO!

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

As intended!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

let's actually help this guy.

How well do you want to play games?
    If you're looking to play all the latest titles but not at manic resolutions and quality settings then:

Athlon64 3200+
    1GB PC3200 RAM (Pref. Corsair or Kingston or Crucial)
    250GB S-ATA Hard disk (pref. Samsung Spinpoint)
    ATI Radeon X800GTO 256MB PCI express GPU
    Hiper 580W Type R Power Supply

If you're looking for a PC to play anything and everything then:
    Athlon64 X2 4400+
    2GB PC3200 RAM (Pref. Corsair or Kingston or Crucial)
    2x 150GB WD Raptor Hard disk (RAID0)
    ATI Radeon X1900XT 512MB
    Hiper 580W Type R Power Supply

Above all, avoid SLi and crossfire, you're burning money!

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The only reason I didn't go into any detail was the 'big hard drives'comment.
    Looks too much a P*ss Take to me!
    Still looks like a P*ss take to me.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, some people just phrase questions badly, so it seems worthwhile to answer it anyway.

8. theoipod

theoipod Guest

Sorry about having badley phrased my question.I didn't intend any confusion.
    I'll specify what i'd be using my computer for:i'm looking for a computer on which i could play computer games (that leaves me with pc)
    ,i want a computer that is fast and that can save a lot of memory.

If you know of any like this please inform,thankyou

9. theoipod

theoipod Guest

I'd like to also add that I don't need to know the components of the computer just the name please.

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

presumably your after a pre-built system then.
    Whats the budget you have and where are you located?

11. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

I build games machines
    how about the martin special £1000
    same as mine :) but with a different case

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Four hard disks??
    I doubt that's really necessary.

theoipod, tell us your budget and we'll get you the best you can buy for the money, but if you crave big time gaming at high res, you should really focus on:

Dual Core Processor (X2 4200, 4400, 4800 and FX-60 recommended)
    Current series high-end graphics (7800GT/GTX, 7900GT/GTX, X1800XT,X1900XT/XTX)
    Western Digital 150GB Raptor (maybe a few of them in RAID0 for extreme performance)
    or if you're really after space, one of those and a 500GB S-ATA hard disk (16MB cache, NO NCQ)
    2GB or 4GB RAM
    550W+ PSU (Hiper Type R is recommended)
    20" or above LCD monitor (12ms maximum refresh rate, 500:1 minimum contrast ratio)

13. handsom

handsom Regular member

Most people don't buy a NAME computer; and even then, there are parts to deal with. So please understand that one way or another; you're going to hear parts.

As far as a gauranteed good bet; try alienware. You're hard pressed to find anything remotely outdated on their site. Great gaming rigs; and you can get some large dual sata drive rigs. If you're just doing game and a bit of music, you don't have any real USE for big hard drives or lots of storage. I could get all my gaming needs covered in less than 40gigs, and you'll have a hard time finding drives smaller than 80 in systems. And believe me; I play a LOT of different games.... I'm ADD boy. Stick with the base size drive; you don't need more for that.

14. theoipod

theoipod Guest

we'll my budjet is 1000 euros(do you guys think it would be smarter,with that budjet,tu upgrade my computer?)

im not as advanced as you guys so please keep it comprehensible.lol

also how do I find out the components of my computer?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1000 euros is plenty to upgrade a PC and plenty even to buy a new one, but it won't buy you much at alienware, they are quite expensive. A self build is good if you can manage it.

However, if you really are about a prebuilt machine then it's difficult to recommend a particular builder without knowing which country you're from. Give me that and I'll try and find a place that looks suitable, the big multinationals will mug you with high prices for gaming PCs.

I'd recommend:
    Athlon64 X2 Processor (probably low end like 3800 or 4200)
    1GB RAM
    X800, X850, 6800 or 7600 series graphics
    500W+ Power supply

Try and find a PC with those specs from smaller Outlets (but reputable ones, check reviews and such).

16. theoipod

theoipod Guest

i am living in france,paris.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

http://www.toutpourlamicro.com/article.asp?id=120&ida=5490&referer=kelkoo?referer=kelkoo

Try this place, and look for:
    It looks like a good website, but I don't speak french, so It may take me a while, and in any case, I'm sure you'll know where to look for this stuff there anyway.

18. theoipod

theoipod Guest

samor,
    this is great.
    could you please explain why you, recomend
    Athlon64 X2 Processor (probably low end like 3800 or 4200)
    1GB RAM
    X800, X850, 6800 or 7600 series graphics (X800 if you're overbudget)
    500W+ Power supply

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My reasons:

An X2 3800 is a very fast CPU now, and it will continue to get faster and faster with time. It's basically two normal Athlon64 3200+ CPUs in one, so with one program using one core it'll start off being like one 3.2Ghz chip, and by the end of it a program that supports 64-bit reverse-hyperthreading (using two processors for one task) it will become up to the equivalent of 12Ghz, rocketing past all the more expensive single core processors.

1GB of RAM is necessary for gaming, since with any less it will become full and then memory has to keep switching places between RAM and hard disk slowing the system down.

X800, X850, 6800 or 7600 series graphics (X800 if you're overbudget)

The X800GTO is an inexpensive but powerful GPU, and I'd recommend using that if, with all the other components you've run up to your maximum. However, I'd recommend an X850XT if you can, that runs games VERY well indeed. The 6800 and 7600 are nVidia alternatives to use as you wish, but if you hold no allegiance to either brand, I'd go with the ATI cards (800 and 850) as they are generally (I'll get told off for this) slightly better, and cheaper.

500W+ Power supply - Although I doubt very much you'll need this it's important to have a high rated one since over time they deteriorate and put out less, and you may end up upgrading your system with more powerful components, so you need some headroom over what you'll need to start with. With pre-made PCs you don't usually have the option (most of the time they're good units to start with) but it's important to get quality power supplies.

As for the hard disks, pick the biggest ones you can afford/will need, but obviously i must remind you that hard disks aren't absolutely safe methods of storing data. Only keep what you can afford to back up.

20. theoipod

theoipod Guest

thanks again,
    so all that left to do is too find this hardware and build or upgrade my pc with it?