1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading Computers.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by theoipod, Apr 19, 2006.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, that's it!

2. theoipod

theoipod Guest

question:can i put any processeur into any pc or is it like ram

3. theoipod

theoipod Guest

samor is there a possiblilaty of you giving me you're email address?

send the address to my adress at theojeph@hotmail.com

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Posting email addresses isn't actually abiding by the forum rules. I can contact you via private message, that would be easier.
    But with processors, here's your checklist:

1. Is the processor the same socket as my motherboard?
    2. Does my motherboard support my processor type?
    3. Does my Power supply have a high enough rating to run my system with the new processor?

That's basically it, other factors such as memory type may impact performance but won't stop the system from working.

5. theoipod

theoipod Guest

samor,if i've got ,at the momment,a athlon643000+ does this mean that any other athlon64 3800+ will work too? if not if i've got a hp salomon motherboard what athlon64 3800+ do i buy?
    thankyou for the help

6. theoipod

theoipod Guest

The reason for which I was asking for you're email was that nobody else seemed to be communacating in the forum. So I found it simpler to communacate by email but I understand you're choice of not wanting to give you're address

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nothing to do with me, I'd gladly give out my address, but it's just not in the forum gentleman's agreement. Anyhoo, is the Motherboard socket 754 or 939? If you don't know, download a program called CPUZ, that will give you your socket, and a load of other information you won't need.
    If it's 754, you can't use a 3800 unless it's an early design. If it's 939, a Venice/San diego and even an X2 Manchester should plop in, provided you've enough power to run them.

8. theoipod

theoipod Guest

thanks,
    my socket is 754.Does thius mean that my computer isin't very good?

how do i change my socket.Can i?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, 754 is still a competent socket and you've a good processor so no, you're computer's fine. However, to upgrade to a better processor (i.e. dual core) you'll need a socket 939 motherboard, by replacing it.

10. theoipod

theoipod Guest

do this mean replacing my whole motherboard?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed it would.

12. theoipod

theoipod Guest

are motherboards very expensive cause i didin't expect this

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Some are some aren't. It's better to get decent quality ones. About the best reasonably priced Socket 939 motherboard is the Asus A8N-E, at newegg for $91. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530
    Of course, it's not imperative you up to 939 for a faster CPU. You can get a single core 3800+ on 754, but no dual cores, and I'd HIGHLY recommend these for a futureproof system.

14. handsom

handsom Regular member

They can be found as low as $50 for older models (Which, if you look really well; is not ALWAYS a bad thing) and usually more around $100 for a good one; some are up to $200, but that's unusual with bells and whistles that aren't necessary. Things like extra temp monitoring, more raid, ide, pci, agp slots; etc. But you can get an excellent one for less than $120 usually.

More than the cost concern, is the amount of pain that goes into installing said new motherboard, etc... What a long mess that always is.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It is a bit of a pain in the backside, and whilst older, cheaper models will suffice. The whole point of the process is to upgrade, so might as well do things right!

16. theoipod

theoipod Guest

Thanks people,

So if i understand,I can't get a dual core because my mother board can't take it but i can get a single core 3800+ on 754.In that case will this be a big enough upgrade to be worth while?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I personally wouldn't bother. Depends if you really need a 25% performance boost. Best off going 939 methinks.

18. theoipod

theoipod Guest

Maybe there is another way of boosting and making my computer better?

19. theoipod

theoipod Guest

can i skip getting a new processeur or is that essential
    ?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What exactly is it you want to do with your PC, just make it faster? If you do, then adding some extra RAM (provided you haven't loads of it already - 512MB to 1GB is a big improvement, 1GB to 2GB a smaller one), or changing your graphics card (again assuming what you have already isn't great) are both good, simpler options for upping your PC's power. Your processor is by most standards pretty good, so I wouldn't argue with it. Many a PC is sold today with a CPU slower than yours, so upping that isn't essential.
    Some great graphics cards can be put in that system (provided they're AGP) all the way up to the X850XT Platinum Edition, and plenty of RAM will fit. This all of course assumes you've a competent Power supply.