1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from Ti4200 to 5900 FX SE? Difference?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by skinny85, Mar 19, 2004.

1. skinny85

skinny85 Member

Has anyone upgraded from Ti4200 64Mb to 5900FX SE 128Mb. Is there a major frame rate increase? Quality? Just ordered one yesterday.Should be here in a week. I heard Ti4200 could smoke 5600. Is this true? I know the 5900 has to be better...just how much though. Got it for 170 on pricewatch. Will resell Ti4200.

2. buxton

buxton Regular member

5900SE? Do you mean XT? SE is an ATI card. Assuming you mean an XT it should be a nice increase over a Ti4200. My advise would have been wait, the first games that will really need a Dx9 card are Half Life2 and Doom3. Till they grace us with an appearence I would wait.

nVidia have their next gen cards out next month, and so prices on the old GF-FX are gonna fall.

But you haven't wasted your money, price per speed the GF-FX 5900XT and ATI 9800Pro are the ones to get.

3. skinny85

skinny85 Member

Well, to be specific it is an eVGA nVidia GeForce-FX 5900 SE 128MB DDR 8XAGP W/ CRT, TVO, & DVI(straight from order form). Maybe the XT's and SE's are the same. That sucks that i bought it now when i could have waited till next month when prices would have been cheaper. Thanks for the info though. I was a little worried that i would only see a slight increase in frame rates, if not the same.

On another message board, there was a guy who had a ti-4200 and got a 5900 SE/XT and had no increase in frame rate whatsoever...may have been bad card or settings. Anyway, thanks.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've seen the 5900 listed as both an SE (newegg) and XT (nvidia's site). Who knows what the hell the differences are with all these differing two-letter designations on the same "5900" or "9800" models anymore.

You got a good card skinny. Just use the latest Forceware drivers and you should be set :)

The guy who had no increase in framerates prolly didn't know what he was doing. People love to post complaints before they even try to figure things out (if they can).