1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

1. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

Good job Bassmutan! I didn't even see your post....i'll have to remember this for people next time who have the frozen drive error...

2. Allergen

Allergen Member

Hello, I want to upgrade my Xbox HD from its original to a spare 40 gig I have. I looked it up to see if it would lock, and sure enough it will! I want to maintain Xbox Live playability and keep all of my save files that I have on my Xbox hard drive. I currently have a backup dash that I can reinstall using Softmod Installer Deluxe if needed, will that work on the 40 gig and enable me to play on Xbox Live? Also, the ISO created is far to large for a CD... Could I just copy the EEPROM and C: then dump the E: over FlashFXP? I would highly appreciate help from someone that knows what they're doing, I'm halfway in the dark on this one! If you could help over an instant messenger I can send you my information through a PM... Thanks in advance =)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  3. Blacklce

Blacklce Guest

I'm having a bit of a problem. My xbox and FlashFXP are freezing up when downloading my xbox's C to my pc. More specifically its the file C/fonts/Xbox.xtf all other files have been transfered fine but when it comes to this one it will freeze half way throught the transfer. Any ideas as to why? or ways around this.

4. ianio747

ianio747 Guest

I would try using FlashFTP to transfer the files. Using that program, I have never experienced any kind of problem. I have made 2 or 3 backups each of my C:, E:, and F: drives.

Lets just say I am paranoid and want to make sure I don't lose my Xbox.

5. Blacklce

Blacklce Guest

Nope no luck. My xbox still freezes at this one file. Is it possible to coppy this file from another xbox and use it when setting up my new HDD? or will mine be different than others.

6. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@jonbtrini
    Good Job. I've sent quite a few towards your tutorial for help and they've all said it was helpful.

7. destruct7

destruct7 Member

thanks, other turorials were more confusing... it took about five minutes to make my new harddrive from scratch (after I had the cd made and stuff connected, but all that took about another 5-10 min).
    I decided I would just copy my TDATA and UDATA through ftp to the new harddrive, instead of putting them on the cd b/c they were so big ~2 gig.
    now I have 160 gigs so I can show it off to friends

8. gli7ch

gli7ch Guest

Very helpful. Thank you for the info!

pz out

9. hunkre

hunkre Guest

hey can you if anyone knows tell me the answer to this i have been burning the .iso to my cd-r and wen i go to boot it i changed my bios and when it boots it says looking for media could not find media try again now my question is whats wrong? does it have to be a cd-r/w or can i use the cd-r i created trust me i copeid the right file please help!!!!!

10. hunkre

hunkre Guest

also in addition does anyone know the answer to this? i am useing a 40 gb sony hd(the one included for ps2 from ffxi) can i use this this it seems i can its the same as the xbox one im use ing please tell me ill find out either way lol

11. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@hunkre

Try using a DvD-R or a different type of CD-R brand. Many xboxes have trouble reading CD-Rs. If it must be a CD not DvD try CD-RW, their compatibilty rate with xbox drives are pretty good.

12. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

Actually, changing the media wouldn't make a difference, as you're not putting it into the Xbox drive, you're putting it in your PC drive. Hunkre, i'd make SURE you're burning the iso properly, that's the only thing i can think of, other than you're not setting your BIOS on your PC to read the correct CD drive that the cd-rom is in when it boots...when the iso is created, right click on it and click open with DVD Decrypter. Decrypter is a fool-proof method of burning the iso...

13. hunkre

hunkre Guest

thank you i did infact not burn it as a .iso but as a .dat file sooo im done with that one other problem though....
    i am softmodding to a sony hdd 40gb and i have formatted the drive it is now an xbox drive but i am trying to lock it and when i go to lock i do this i go lockhd a then it ask do you need help to find password??? i cant selct no so i say yes then i get this screen

welcome to the mini live linux
    this progam will unlock or lock an xbox drive("something like that")
    y
    y
    y
    y
    y
    y
    y
    ect...

it just keeps typeing y is this supposed to be a loading screen or is there an error because ive let it load for around an hour and a half and it just keeps typing y over and over again please help im on the last step what does this mean please someone who has done this help me

14. ianio747

ianio747 Guest

I would assume that you are experiencing an error. I upgraded my HDD to a Seagate 120GB HDD, and when I went to lock it, it took less than 5 minutes... maybe even less than 2 minutes, very fast. I would suggest trying again... look around on the internet. I once found a site that showed which HDD's are Xbox compatible. Maybe the one you are using isn't compatible. Maybe it is. Sorry that I cannot be of any more help with this issue.

15. hunkre

hunkre Guest

ok yes it is a possibility but when you guys went through that it dint just ask you that then go to the mini live linux did it? then just types y's till it loads? i dont know thnx for the suggestion but it is the same exact hdd as a regular xbox drive but i will try it with a differnt drive though i will let you know if that is the problem i have the eeprom on the disk and everything though there should be no problem if this is an error wouldnt it say hdd could not be locked? i dont get it ill reply and tell you if it does the same thing next time i post

16. hunkre

hunkre Guest

ok i tried every possible thing and this is infact an error i tried it on 2 different drives and cant figure out what it means but it does it in both senrios if you did this tell me if you cam e to that screen too and what this means please help... jodtrini

17. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

It sounds like you do not have the eeprom.bin file placed in the correct folder on the cd-rom you're using to create the new drive. Double check this and make sure it is correct, and if it is, the drive should lock when you enter "lockhd -a" at the command prompt...

18. hunkre

hunkre Guest

ok i was wrong you cannot lock this drive no matter what
    [​IMG]

heres anouther veiw

[​IMG]

sorry they are so bad then it goes to this screen that says welcome and i dont know if all you guys got this but it keeps typeing y's is this a loading screen and am i not waiting long enough?

[​IMG]

closer veiw

[​IMG]

so wtf is going on im getting a little to frustrated but yah sorry maybe its just my version of this pc sux but im doing evrything right so tell me is that a loading screen i mean it looks normal but i dont know it's annoying someone who just did this or something please tell me did you get that screen even for one second if i try to run a locked ps2 hdd does that have something to do with it but i tried to do this with a 15 gb hd and it still did this so i dont get whats going on btw thnx jobtrini i did check it was in the wrong folder but now everything is right and it is still doing it

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
  19. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

DUDE PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU'RE DOING...you said you're typing "unlockhd -a" when you're supposed to be typing "lockhd -a"....it seems to me that you're trying to rush too much instead of reading the tutorial carefully and making sure you understand exactly what you're supposed to be doing....

20. hunkre

hunkre Guest

oops i must have mis typed i did mean lockhd-a sorry my bad but plan and simple is this a glitch or is ita loading screen