1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

1. kalashlar

kalashlar Member

Does anyone know where I can get an ISO file that has already been created? Just curious.

2. destruct7

destruct7 Member

u can't get an ISO from someone else, u need to make one that has ur xbox's eeprom otherwise ur new harddrive wont boot in ur xbox after it has been locked with someone elses code...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  3. kalashlar

kalashlar Member

Thanks. Guess I was just trying to be laszy

4. hunkre

hunkre Guest

hey could someone make a how to lock the hdd for xbox on a softmoded
    hdd thread that goes step by step through it in detail a retard would get ?

5. rokie

rokie Member

so i finaly got around to getting a bigger hd, i only have a 20 gig, i have run through the tutorial and was able to lock it correctly and it works on the xbox, but the primary folder i use is E where i load my games, i have all the free space on f but i need it on the e, any ideas as to how i can chose where the memory is available????

6. rokie

rokie Member

oh this the space available on e : 4.537.958.400 on f: 12.540.608.512 and c: 343.228.416
    at the moment i do have any games loaded but i want to know how to get the 12.540 to the e drive so i can load and run more programs? i hope someone understands , well i guess ill run the 10 gig that came with xbox for now, if anyone has any input it would be awesome. thanks

7. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

What's the problem with the space being on the F: partition? Nothing works any differently...it's just put on the F partition instead of E. The E partition can only hold about 4.5 gigs and then everything after that is given to the F, and then the G partitions if it's over 137 gigs...

8. rokie

rokie Member

yeah i was freaking out for no reason, i setup my folders and fixed ini file and everything works, i am so excited. thanks you guys for the help. :)

9. hunkre

hunkre Guest

how long should it take to lock and what does it look like if the drive cant lock? oh and btw yes im still trying im sad i burnt everything right i even typed the maual key it gave me the same screen with y's i tried it on anouther drive i got same problems so i cant figure out... how long does it take to lock? oh and one last thing is it possible for me to unlock and reformat the origanal xbox hdd because it does not even load in my cpu and how would i do this sorry btw i delted my dashboard soo you know lol i need help plz help some one thnx

10. destruct7

destruct7 Member

My hdd was locked right when I told it to do it, like fractions of a second.....
    Maybe you messed something up on the harddrives or something by doing it so many times, idk, I had just taken my new 160 gig hdd out of its box when I did it, like I said just after I upgraded it, the whole thing took about 5-10 minutes after I had everything

11. hunkre

hunkre Guest

alright well i am just gonna buy a hardmod anyone now any websites to buy hardmods at cheap the kind that will let me hotswap harddrives perferibly with unleash x dash on it and around up to 50$ hopefully 20 and preferibly with no solder needed ok thankyou if not post a website anyway i might see something i want anyways

12. moocow666

moocow666 Guest

would it work if i have unleasx

13. Zen420

Zen420 Member

You guys ROCK.. I went to upgrade my Hdd to a 250 segate baracudda. got the cd burned and went to clone my stock drive (had to unlock it to do so) when it was done i went to lock it again and my HDDs were frozen... I thought i just wasted about $300 on hardware... Ill try a couple of other computers to lock it.. man i hope this work...
    Thanks guys

14. rodolofo

rodolofo Member

I followed the softmod guide first, worked great, then I tried to upgrade my HDD. I followed this exactly, but the HDD wouldn’t lock. I didn’t know if this was a problem or not, so I put it in the xbox anyways. When I booted up, I got an error saying service required. Call customer support. There is 05 in the upper left hand corner and the green power light flashes from green to red. The HDD I was trying was a Seagate 120GB HDD. Any thoughts/ideas on how to fix??

Btw...Before I gave up and tried it in my xbox, I did try to reboot my computer and reload from DVD the xbhdm1.9 to try and lock it again, but it wouldn't load from the disk for some reason this time...

[edit]
    Ok, I managed to get the dvd to read again, and I erased the HDD and re-did it. This time, I formatted it using the xbhdm, then instead of using that to do the lock/unlock (my bios doesn't allow me to lock the primary master apparently) I turned off computer, switched HDD to primary slave, then used hdlock, hddisabl to lock the hdd. It seemed to go successfully, as it said Done, but when I put it in the xbox, low and behold the error code 6 now. So I just gave up and returned the HDD and will try again later. Anyone have any suggestions, ideas, tips for me for next time??

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  15. catzgirl

catzgirl Member

This guide is a Godsend for softmoding. Very good job! I just finished following this step for step and now I'm the proud owner of an 80gb softmodded Xbox :D

For those of you having hard drive freezing, make sure to check this list http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/modules.php?name=Xbox_HardDrives and see if your hard drive is compatible first!

16. Vnsnty628

Vnsnty628 Member

I got my NEW HD installed(100 MAXTOR)by using your tutorial.THANKS. I saved 1 game in the HD and it saved successfully but when I try to play it the freezes. Can anyone please help and tell me the my problem is. THANKS in advanced.

17. Vnsnty628

Vnsnty628 Member

OOPS I MEAN 100GB MAXTOR HD

18. Vnsnty628

Vnsnty628 Member

Also when I put a game in the XBOX it doesn't even load and I'm not able to play the game. It plays DVDs though. Not sure what or if I did anything wrong.

19. oedomsa

oedomsa Guest

I Did Everything As Mentioned, I Think All Went Well, The Hard-Drive(Seagate 100GB), Partitioned, Formatted, And Locked All With Sucessful Messages. However When I Insert The Drive Into The XBOX, And Turn It On, Instead Of Booting To My Evox Dashboard, It Boots To The M$ Dashboard. I Can See All The Save Games, And If I Use The MechAssault Game And The Linux Loader, I Can Even See The Drives, How They Are Partitioned, And The Space Available On Each From The Little Dashboard That Walks You Through The Original Softmod Installation. I Don't understand Why I'm Unable To Boot Into My SoftModded Dashboard. Any Help Would Be Wonderful.

20. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@Vnsnty - You may need to enable Launch Games "Yes" in the settings section of your dashboard....

oedomsa - That sounds like a question pertaining to your particular type of mod, rather than the HD itself. There's something that needs to be in place in your mod setup in order to boot to the Evox dashboard....