1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

1. drock4

drock4 Guest

i'm having the same problem. i have build a new HDD from scratch using a tut on here with xboxhdm. using a softmod, and now when i use the new hdd it boots to the M$ dashboard, but doesnt boot evox. when i load a game it goes to the original softmod install screen. i used Krayzie but i cant figure out how to load the evox dash....help pls!!!!

2. vgamenic

vgamenic Member

I'm having the same issue as Vnsnty628. I used xboxhdm 1.9 to upgrade. When I made boot disc, I only backed up my C drive on it, not E (would've been too big to fit on CDR) Everything worked great. Once I moved the original TDATA and UDATA to the new drive via flashfxp to get my gamesaves, some games don't load, when I try to start, they just reboot to the dash. Same thing when I put the original disc in, just boots to XBMC. Also, flashfxp could not transfer some of the folders in TDADA/UDATA, seems those were the saves for the games that are now not starting. So I dl'd some saves and tried to manually put the save folder in TDATA and UDATA, it would not let me, I got the following error:
    R] RNFR /E/5454000f
    [R] 350 Directory exists, ready for destination name.
    [R] RNTO /E/UDATA/5454000f
    [R] 450 Internal error renaming the file
    Move Failure!

If I try to load or save any of the games that are working, game freezes.
    What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  3. masteroc

masteroc Member

Hi,

I have just softmodded my xbox (v 1.6) with evlution x.

When i went into system settings, then into backup, it said that it was backing up.

But when i went to E. there was no backup_linux, in fact, the only eprom that i could find was in c:\backup

Am i doing something wrong?

4. tabingam

tabingam Member

I don't think it really matters where it backed up to. It might depend on what version of evox you are running. You can always copy it to e: if you want to. The important thing is that you have a copy of the eeprom.bin file.

5. scriff

scriff Member

complete noob here; need some help

I was able to use these instructions to install a 300gb Maxtor in my xbox and ran into a problem. It boots up exov and plays games fine, but when I choose to open up the MS dash from evox it brings up error message 21, which could be anything. Anyone know what might be causing this? I could open up the MS dash fine with the old hard drive.

Also, in order to use unleashx to get the extra gigs on g: do I have to install it as the dash or can I just open it from a cd or the Apps folder? Can I get it from xbins by itself or only from an installer?

Thanks

6. scriff

scriff Member

For those of you who are having games freeze up, I had the same problem when I first installed the new hard drive, then I saw this thread - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/263738

Once I removed the files from e:/CACHE the games seem to work fine

Anyone have any ideas on how to my MS dash to work/error 21?

7. masteroc

masteroc Member

Ok, i got my first problem solved. Now i have a bigger one :(

I got all the files onto the new 80gb hard drive. The program copied all the files and created C,E F drives. After that, i restarted my computer and locked the hard drive. The little info part told me that the hard drive was locked. But, when i put the hard drive into my xbox, it starts flashing red. What is going on?? I followed the tutorial to the letter.

thanks

8. sjm96

sjm96 Member

I followed the tutorial as closely as I could. However, when I go to option 1 when I boot up to the CD, and it asks for login name, the computer doesn't respond when I type. It acts as if the keyboard doesn't work. But the keyboard does work when I'm in BIOS settings, and option 3... What's going on? I have the same problem with option 2!

9. Deezack

Deezack Guest

im having the same problem as Lewda99 i boot up the disc press option 1 it loads for a few seconds then reboots my comp anybody who is alittle bit pc knowalgble please help me its very appreciated : )

10. Deezack

Deezack Guest

Nevermind on my last question i used my moms comp and it worked just fine cya guys

11. footbal95

footbal95 Member

Ok this is going to be kind of long but heres the scoop, and i hope this will help many of you
    I followed the tut and modded the new hdd, i locked it using the "plugging it in at the first options screen" trick, then i put it in my box and it wouldnt boot it just stayed at the M$ screen and kept rebooting.
    ok so then i remade the hdd without copying the E drive and it booted me to the M$ dash. after that i put 007 in and reinstalled the softmod and everything works fine now. yay, so i hope this helps you all.

and for the person who could not turn on his softmod, either try reinstalling it or make sure you had it on when you copied the c and e drives or do what i did above. i remember that is the exploit i had b4 it allowed you to play on live w/o deleting the mod

ok i hope this helps you guys good luck

oh and awesome tut i spent the past 2 days searching everywhere for the tut i used b4 to mod my xbox and couldnt find it so i tried other methods and they didnt work, but then i found yours (which is the one i used b4) and i was able to complete it in about a half hour thanks so much

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  12. sh1tsalad

sh1tsalad Member

I've managed to do this sucessfully before with an 80GB hard drive. I just bought a 300GB hard drive for my xbox and I've gotten to where I need to format the rest of the space on the G drive. Currently on the G drive there is 0bytes of space. My question is, where do I go, or what options do I need to use to format the partition? Thanks in advance.

13. mx710

mx710 Member

Okay my harddrive is fried and i am buying a new harddrive i dont have any info on any of the files from my xbox, will it work if i just put a new harddrive in it and format it with slayers?

14. footbal95

footbal95 Member

OK
    Sh1tsalad- you can only get the G drive if you have a hardmod and your bios supports it, if you do not have that then you cant get anyhting over 137 gig.
    Mx710 - if you do not have the eeprom file off your xbox or know the password your xbox uses to lock and unlock the hdd then you cant add the hdd unless you have a hardmod, then you could use slayers auto installer.

hope this helps you guys

15. sh1tsalad

sh1tsalad Member

Thank you footbal95. This sucks, I spent all that extra money for nothing. I wish the original thread stated that.

16. destruct7

destruct7 Member

mx710 If u can use a friends xbox or a second xbox you can do a hotswap to find out the eeprom of ur xbox w/ the fried harddrive
    I was successful in doing this and could tell u how... but I wont include how to get the eeprom once u r running the xbox with the other xbox's harddrive because its pretty self explanatory(use a softmod and dump the eeprom then ftp then just make a hdd maker disc and get a new hdd...)

EDIT: by the way doing it in this method makes it so you wont need a hard mod

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  17. mx710

mx710 Member

thanks man i think i will i am getting a 250 GB hard drive off of www.tigerdirect.com me and my friend were gonna try it in the first place but i didnt want to waste money and it not work thanks again and your right about the self explanatory thing

18. tny23

tny23 Member

when I go to lock my new hdd would it show me the xbox hdd eeprom password or it would show me the new hdd password, because I'm at the stage that I have to says yes or no to install password and its showing me a password thats not the same has the xboxs password

19. footbal95

footbal95 Member

tny - yes you will get this because to generate the pswd it looks at you hdd serial number just write it down (to be safe) and go ahead and lock it it should still work. At least it did with both times i did it

destruct - thats sweet i never knew that hmmmmm sorry for the misinfo i gave ya mx710

20. tny23

tny23 Member

Thanks it worked