1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

1. destruct7

destruct7 Member

yeah, I was playing around with my 2 xboxes one day.. lol.. trying to fix the one that the hdd broke in... I got lucky the first time I tried to hotswap and the second xbox booted up.. the second time I got an error (the hdd wasn't locked or something)... but I kept trying and found out that it is all about timing in turning the one xbox on and connecting the cables at like just the right time... so it might take u a few tries before you get the hotswapping to work...

good luck if you are gonna try it by hotswapping and then getting the eerpom that way... I would suggest you get the eeprom and the hdd making cd burned b4 you buy the hdd, just incase it is some other kind of problem with your xbox

EDIT:
    I should also mention that I tried the hotswapping a coupel of times with my original hdd from my working xbox and then a couple of times with my 160 gig for my working xbox and noticed that original hdd seemed to boot the 2nd xbox more often (however this was b4 I noticed the timing had to b just right, so I might have handeled my 160 gig hdd more carefully and been slower at connectiing it missing the boot sequence and failing to load the dash board)

I also want to say that you need to make sure the eeprom you get off the hdd via ftp is actually for the broken xbox and not from the working xbox. To check this you can download a hexeditor and open the two different eeproms u have and c if they r identical or not. If they are not identical then you have the eeprom you want[look at the dates created if u mix the two up (most recent = broken eeprom)]
    just search google for a free hexeditor.. or use a free trial

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  2. cobra831

cobra831 Guest

I'm having the same issue as Vnsnty628. I used xboxhdm 1.9 to upgrade. When I made boot disc, I only backed up my C drive on it, not E (would've been too big to fit on CDR) Everything worked great. Once I moved the original TDATA and UDATA to the new drive via flashfxp to get my gamesaves, some games don't load, when I try to start, they just reboot to the dash. Same thing when I put the original disc in, just boots to XBMC. Also, flashfxp could not transfer some of the folders in TDADA/UDATA, seems those were the saves for the games that are now not starting. So I dl'd some saves and tried to manually put the save folder in TDATA and UDATA, it would not let me, I got the following error:
    R] RNFR /E/5454000f
    [R] 350 Directory exists, ready for destination name.
    [R] RNTO /E/UDATA/5454000f
    [R] 450 Internal error renaming the file
    Move Failure!

If I try to load or save any of the games that are working, game freezes.
    What am I doing wrong?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 27. November 2005 15:43.

try moving your music file to the pc hd, then make the iso, burn it on the cdr, then move the music file back to the xbox. usually the music file is the biggest on e partition

3. smoter

smoter Member

I am in a similar situation as oedomsa reported on Nov. 18th.

Upgraded HDD to Mator 100GB using xboxhdm 1.9 and everything worked perfectly (partitioned, formatted, and locked all with sucessful messages).
    After I inserted new drive into xbox and powered up, the console boots into the M$ dashboard and not the Evox dashboard I had on the original softmodded drive.

Any explanation as to why?

Do I need to reinstall the softmod that I originally put on (Splinter Cell)?

I don't understand why I'm unable to boot up into the Evox dash.
    Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Smoter

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  4. footbal95

footbal95 Member

ok you probably have to i did that also and reinstalled my soft mod and it worked look at my post a few pages ago it tells you exactly what i did and its workin fine

5. smoter

smoter Member

Thanks footbal95.
    I did see your post and thought I was going to have to do this.
    Glad to hear that others are experiencing this issue but able to easily resolve it.
    Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Smoter

6. footbal95

footbal95 Member

yup HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!!

7. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

Question What kind's of HD are compatible with Xbox Can We use ATA 100 , ATA 133 , 8 MB Cache, 12 mb etc... ?
    Thanks Pitt

8. footbal95

footbal95 Member

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/

there ya go go to that site and put in the hdd you want to try it will tell you if it has been reported as working or not :)

9. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

Thanks footbal95 .. :)

10. lunatic76

lunatic76 Member

I have followed the guide and it all went swimmingly until I turned on the xbox with the newly setup HDD. The XBOX booted fine, but it booted to the default XBOX "green" dashboard.

The original xbox had evbox installed and was working perfectly. Is the expected outcome as per the guide in this thread, do you need to "redo" the evox install to get it to work or should evox be loaded straight away just like the original hd was (thought that was the purpose of creating the iso of the C and E drive).

Any help you can provide would be great.

(I have an X3 modded box also that I have played with, even installed a new HD with minimal effort, actually the same HDD as I am trying to install now on a soft modded xbox).

Thanks in advance....

11. smoter

smoter Member

I don't know what the expected outcome should be in the HDD upgrade process, all I can tell you is my experience.
    After the HDD upgrade, I had to go in from the M$ dash and delete the linux and Splinter Cell game saves from the original soft mod, and do a reinstall with my Splinter Cell game.
    It was all tickety-boo after that.
    The weird thing is every one of my app's and skins from the original HDD were there, but for some reason it just wouldn't boot to evox.
    At first I tried to turn the soft mod back on through the SC game save boot to UnleashX, but it pooched the drive and I got the dreaded Error 13 message.
    So I re-formatted the HDD, and just did a fresh install of the SC soft mod exploit.
    One thing I learned in this process, is that when I went to lock the hard drive after using xboxhdm, I wasn't able to type in the "lockhd -a" command when my M$ usb mouse was attached to the computer.
    Strange eh?
    When I unplugged it and rebooted, no problems.
    Maybe this little tidbit will help others in that boat.

Smoter

12. footbal95

footbal95 Member

check out my post a few pages back it explains what i did and it is almost error proof :)

13. ventus

ventus Member

Ok I followed the guide exactly even printed it out so I would make sure to follow it properly and I tries 5 times and keep getting a error 06 which i research and found its that the xbox cant unlock the hdd, the hdd im using is a Samsung SP1604N 160 gig, another question I have I set the jumper on the hdd to master to install from the boot cd I made now the stock hdd in the xbox has the jumper set to cable select to I put my new hdd to that didnt work got same error so I tried it on master, same thing, anyone have any idea how to resolve this? I am using Evox from SID, and it says my drive is compatible in the list, cant think of anymore info to put in here but if you need something else please ask

14. footbal95

footbal95 Member

ok are you using your eeprom or typing the password manualy? umm are you sure its lockable look at the link i posted above. Or try a fresh eeprom gotten from the evox backup prgm aight. if that doesnt work let me know and ill research it

15. ventus

ventus Member

ok are you using your eeprom or typing the password manualy? umm are you sure its lockable look at the link i posted above. Or try a fresh eeprom gotten from the evox backup prgm aight. if that doesnt work let me know and ill research it

i backedup my eeprom with evox and used it , thought maybe it didnt take right so i rebacked it up n tried again same results, yes it says my drive is compatible in that link, I am lost my stock hdd still works but I would like to backup my original games for safe keeping so I need a bigger hdd......its a softmod install so you know and i have not upgraded anything as far as eeprom or bios unless thwe softmod does it automatically, I am no0b to modding and this is my 1st attempt at putting in a new hdd

16. ventus

ventus Member

from what i am understanding from other forums and threads the error 06 means 6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

17. footbal95

footbal95 Member

yes he stated that in his original problem, ummm lemme see .......... look for a prgm that will tell you the pswd using the eeprom and write it down and try typing it in manually. look on xbox scene i think thats where i found it

18. ventus

ventus Member

ok there is a txt file in my backup folder wit the info in it hddinfo.txt gives me all that stuff now what ?

19. footbal95

footbal95 Member

ok that alone will not work because the xbox generates the pswd based on the hdd serial number that is what the prgm i mentioned is for check on xbins, im sry that i dont remember what it is called, but you can try it buy make sure you type it in exactly and quadruple check it cuz if you mess up and dont know the pswd you typed your hdd is gone forever. try it ill keep lookin for that prgm

20. ventus

ventus Member

ok i will search for a program that finds it from the eeprom too if you find anything please post thanks for your help