1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading older machines

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pdt1952, Oct 28, 2007.

1. pdt1952

pdt1952 Guest

Hi, I'd like a bit of advice please? First off I have to admit to being a refugee from the Mac community:))I have a PC which dates from around 2001 and I was wondering whether I could upgrade the motherboard/ processor, memory etc to squeeze more life from it without spending too much money. The current Motherboard is a QDIgroup KuDoz7 V2.0 with an AMD Athlon Xp processor' speed unknown. Is it possible to use the current case/ PSU (20pin connector),16x DVD writer/ Floppy drive and just replace the motherboard/ processor/memory/Hard drive/ Graphics card? Thanks for your help
    Peter

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

The case should be good to go, but you may want to get a new PSU, along with the other parts.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

you could just install one of many (free) Linux distributions on there and therefore spend a big fat zero :)
    ..and being a Mac refugee it wouldn't be overly difficult learning the bit of Linux needed to get up and running..

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Honestly putting money into a system that old is a losing proposition. It's really not worth it, especially considering how much of a performance boost you would get building a new one altogether.

If you want to though I will try to answer your questions. If you case can house a full ATX motherboard(it probably can) you can put a new motherboard in. You cant keep the powersupply, as it wont meet the demands of your new parts. The floppy drive and DVD writer you can keep, but the case... Well the case is an older design and with new technology that makes more heat that old case probably doesn't have good enough airflow to keep everything cool.

If you aren't looking to build a new one soon(we can help with that, it's very easy), the cheapest thing would be to just upgrade the memory.

5. pdt1952

pdt1952 Guest

Thankyou for the advice, I'm tempted by the Linux route and I also appreciate the common sense of not wasting money on an older system, any idea how much memory this set up is able to address?At the moment its running 256K and the other thing if I dont go the linux route is would it run XP rather than the 2000 Pro that it's running now?
    This is certainly the place I will come as and when I get round to building a new machine which will be for basic stuff only, WP, medium size spreadsheets & a bit of Photoshop work thanks Peter

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Can you post the rest of your specs. I would at least get 512 MB more of memory, especially if you want to run photoshop.