1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading PC, CPU GFX card/PSU decision

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by blahwho, Dec 16, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've nothing against MSI, but I've had three Sapphire ATI cards and never had a problem ith any of them.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

It seems that MSI charges way cheaper prices for all of their cards. I mean, when I was looking for a new card to go with my setup, I was considering an 8800GTX or a Ultra, and there was at least a $50 difference between MSI's cards and the other EVGA, BFG, etc.

I just thought they were sacrificing quality to get those lower prices, but I guess I was wrong as I dont have any real proof of people with bad experiences with them.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

MSI make decent motherboards etc. so i've no reason to believe their GPUs are bad. Unlike EVGA and BFG though, they don't mess with the cards, upgrade the coolers or provide a big software bundle, so the cards are always going to be quite cheap.

4. blahwho

blahwho Regular member

I went with the MSI card.... free shipping, LAWL
    Thanks for all the help guys.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problems, let us know how it went or if you've got further queries.

6. blahwho

blahwho Regular member

GAH, more issues.
    I popped out my old card, installed the new one (HD3870 MSI) and I could not configure drivers off the CD and the fan on the card is SOO LOUD, Im pretty sure it came at 100% and it's driving my crazy. I tried downloading drivers off the website, but that didn't help. After the website drivers I had an 'MOM.Implementation error and .NET error for CCC. I installed .NET for CCC and that did nothing for the drivers. so removed "drivers" deleted .NET, reboted, cleaned registry and installed just the driver and no CCC off ATI website. I can run games, but windwos does not recognize the card and asks me to install everytime I boot up.

Anyone know what's up?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, that's a bit suck about the fan. Try running Atitool to a) see if it finds the card, and b) adjust the fan speed. As far as the drivers go, not sure. perhaps try a different version?

8. blahwho

blahwho Regular member

ok so I've figured out that the only thing not working is CCC, and I am tired of trying to make it work.
    I've downloaded rvatuner and used that to turn the fan speed down to 70% and that makes a HUGE difference in noise.
    All the drivers are loaded and games are running fine, but windos device manager still doesn't recognize the 3870..... hmm? doesn't really matter I suppose.

9. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Did you do a complete uninstall/reinstall of the latest (catalyst 8.1) drivers for the 3870? Choose "ati software uninstall utility) in the "add or remove programs" menu in control panel, and unstall everything Ati related (which that program will do). Then reboot, and install the 8.1 drivers.