1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading RAM

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by doobers, Mar 12, 2007.

1. doobers

doobers Member

hey hey hey

im not all that happy with the way my computer is running while playing games atm. and im thinking that the main reason for it is because i have shared graphics, which steals from my RAM.

i only have 512 system ram atm, with 128 of SHARED grapics. stupid stuff it is.

if i upgrade my ram to about 1 gig will it increase the performace of my gameplay, and if i do upgrade, what will i need to do to make it dual channel?. does that mean that they just have to b the same sized pieces in each slot? i.e 256 and 256, or 512 and 512. because i heard that dual channel RAM can greatly increase your systems performance.

i had a look at my memory that i have now which is 2 * 256mg DDR2 PC2-4200 running in dual channel mode.

any help on the matter would b appreciated.
    thnx in advance

2. onya

onya Guest

Get yourself a graphics card with at least 256mb of ram, and if the budget allows......get two sticks of 512Mb ram, rated the same as what you have. You'll have a veritable rocket compared with what you have at present. If you upgrade the graphics, make sure your PSU can handle the extra demand. Also what rating is your current PSU? and what CPU are you running?

3. doobers

doobers Member

my computer is a laptop, so im not sure if i am able to get a graphics card in there if it already has shared graphics.

im not the biggest computer guy around so i dont know what a PSU is lol.

umm my cpu is a rather crappy intel centrino 1.6ghz

i would like to upgrade that aswell, but i doubt i have enough money and im not even sure if its possible.

upgrading laptops..... so shifty

4. onya

onya Guest

Expensive as well, so if you have some pennies to spend my choice would be the ram, no question.(PSU) power supply unit. Upgrading graphics and the like on a laptop is not my forte'.....However, others may post on this issue. All the best.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

most likely can't upgrade videocard as only highend laptops can & not all of those have that capability. go for the ram but expect not all games to run smoothly. also update video driver to latest version & check game sites for faq & patches & updates

6. onya

onya Guest

Just curious ddp, why wouldn't you necessarily expect games to run smoothly?

7. ddp

because it is a laptop with non upgradeable videocard.

8. onya

onya Guest

LOL....And I was expecting some technical explanation.

9. ddp

except for hd & ram, laptops are not very upgradeable. as for games with laptop than you take your chances especially on newer games.

10. doobers

doobers Member

thanks for ur help guys.
    but u did miss out one one part of my question.
    what do i need to do to get my ram to run in dual channel mode?
    will it just do it with whatever i put in there, or does it have to be 2 parts of ram, both equal in size?

the PSU. as u said, its a laptop and at that a relativly cheap one, making the upgradeability of it, extremely limited.