1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading to sata + raid 0 ?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dlc2000, Dec 6, 2004.

1. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

hello all , im in the process of upgrading from ata to sata using 2 western digital 74 gig 10000 rpm raptors raid 0 on the lch5r chipset .
    here is my question , im using the asus p4c800-e deluxe motherboard which supports raid on the ich5r and the promise controller . i do not want to use the promise controller for my raid . the lch5r is faster than the promise controller . in order to use the lch5r controller i have to use the intel application accelerator raid edition . the problem with using the application accelerator is it will have to be uninstalled to update my firmware for my sony 710a dual layer burner . do i run this raid and hope i never have to update my firmware for my burner ?

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

I found a simple way around this question about a month ago. Make sure you have the updated firmware for the DVD and then set up the RAID. When the new firmware arrives, move the DVD to another machine and update. Install into RAID machine and you should be fine.

I have always been tempted to update DVD/CDR firmware in a machine with an existing ICH5 RAID but have never had the opportunity to test it out(Data is very crucial).
    I may set up my own array and give it a go.

Your going to have one screaming RAID array when your done(you must have dropped much cabbage on the Raptors)!!!!

Hope this helps.

3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

thankyou for the reply . the burner is too new and there is no firmware update yet . it may need to be upgraded in the future so i'll take your suggestion than and use my other machine to update the firmware .
    the raptors are really nice drives that only cost me $354 us dollars after mail in rebate from newegg . they could be bigger but i have plenty of storage now with my other drives in my sig . now the world has moved to having to move hardware from one machine to another for updates and than back . whats next ?

4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Sometimes moving hardware around is the easiest and most efficient soloution to a complicated and time consuming problem.

I'm curious, are you planning to use the migration tool in IAA or are you starting a clean array? What is your assessment of the 875P/ICH5R for overall performance -- I am currently running the 865PE/ICH5R.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2004
  5. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

this is the best performing machine i have built to date . i dont know how it compares to the 865pe .
    i will be doing a clean install of xp pro on the raid . i have read quite a bit about installing xp in less than 15 minutes using a raid and sata . we'll see if thats true or not !
    i dont think the 875p is much without the asus motherboard with all the overclocking features it has . i hope to see better tranfer rates and read and write times with the raptors . one more upgrade is in the makings after the raid and that is a nvidia 6800 ultra . overall when im finished with this machine it should be enough machine for just about anything !

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i have finished my upgrade to serial ata and raid 0 . xp loads in 8 minutes from a format . thats the fastest install of xp i have ever done . games load faster now than they used too . general performance is quite a bit better .

7. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

8. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i cannot run the first test because im using the ntfs file system . the readme file that is included with the first download says only fat16 and fat32 .
    i'll do the second download and see what happens . these tests are kind of pointless without some thing to compare them to . i never benched my old setup so i have no baseline to compare to .

9. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Piontless!!!!! I wouldn't do that to you! This board has the same IHA as your board. The test is on single drives and there is a comparison (somewhat unfair in terms of rotational speed)with other drives on the market. There is a difference in CPUs/Ram but that should have little affect on read write speeds.

http://www.hwspirit.com/reviews.php?read=1

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2004
  10. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

ok i have finished my testing of this setup for now . this is my first raid setup so im not sure what numbers im suppose to be getting . i know what a single drive is suppose to get but not a raid . i would post the screen shots but i have no way to do so . i will put in my results manually . the stripe size im using is 128 . here are my results for both the raid and my 200gig seagate . starting with the seagate drive .
    cylinders-24321
    heads-255
    sectors-63
    max speed-63512 kbytes/s
    min speed-29009 kbytes/s
    avr speed-55408 kbytes/s
    current speed-33149 kbytes/s
    current cylinder-24320
    cylinders tested-24321
    test time-64min43sec

here are the results for the raid using 2 western digital 10k 74 gig raptors .
    cylinders-18079
    heads-255
    sectors-63
    max speed-96487 kbytes/s
    min speed-3894 kbytes/s
    avr speed-78218 kbytes/s
    current speed-65053 kbytes/s
    current cylinder-18078
    cylinder tested-18079
    test time-31min32sec

ianski7 if you pm me with your email address i would be happy to send the screen shots to you . you can post them if you wish .
    im not sure if these are pathetic scores or not as im just learning how to do this . i may not have everything setup correctly . im always open to suggestions . i pretty much used the default setting while setting this raid up .
    im just happy for now that i got it up and running and its stable . it seems quite fast compared to my 40gig 7200rpm seagate that i replaced with the raid . i dont know if i should be impressed or depressed with these results .:) :(