1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading unlocked iphone to 4.0

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by Carnage57, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Carnage57

Carnage57 Member

I have an iPhone 3gs currently running on software 3.0 and baseband 04.26.08.

Its currently unlocked and jailbroken, but would like to install the new iOS 4. Is anyone able to give me a step by step guide to upgrade to the new OS. I didnt unlock this iphone was bought unlocked from ebay so really new to this. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. karlroby

karlroby Regular member

You can't jailbreak iOS 4.0 at the moment, everyone is waiting for the jailbreak to be released

3. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

You are of the un-informed...? You might want to do your research a little bit better! :p

You can actually have a jailbroken 3gs on IOS4 by using sn0wbreeze, providing you have the old bootrom, which I will assume he has seeing as he's on 3.0 firmware. Just to make sure though, take a quick look at this tutorial. You can download Sn0wbreeze here. That's assuming you're using Windows. Pwnage tool is for Mac. You will also need a copy og the IOS4 which you can get from here. You might need to change the extension of the file downloaded from there, from ".rar" to ".ipsw". You will also need to have the latest version of itunes, which I'm sure i don't need to link you to. lol

1. First off, install Itunes.

2. Run sn0wbreeze and follow on screen instructions to create custom IPSW. I'd suggest using simple mode. You will need to select "Yes" when prompted to activate the device.

3. Put iPhone to recovery mode. You can do this by turning the device off, then plugging it into the comp whilst holding the home button. That's the button below the screen. lol

4. When itunes recognises the device, hold shift and click the restore button on screen.

5. browse to your newly made custom firmware. (Make sure you select the right one, because I didn't when upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1.3 and lost my low baseband... -_-')

6. let it finish the restore and you'll have a jailbroken IOS4 with Cydia. ^o^

7. As this will not upgrade your baseband, you can unlock the device again using ultrasn0w, apparently, by putting this source into Cydia "http://ios4.ultrasn0w.org" and downloading ultrasn0w. Here's where I found that info! lol

Also, I know this works because I have done it myself! ^o^ Well besides the unlock mentioned in part 7, because my baseband is too high... >.< If this is a little too brief for you, I will try and explain it better in the morning, because it's 2am here atm... >.<

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. Carnage57

Carnage57 Member

Much appreciated link will try this later, thanks for the help really appreciated