1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading???

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by scottyrhs, Dec 14, 2004.

1. scottyrhs

scottyrhs Member

Right now I have a TDK drive, DVDR0404N. It is a 4 speed, I have had it over a year, and I like it. I have found a Sony DRU530A on clearance at Staples for 38 bucks with a 30 dollar rebate. The advantage is that is a 8 speed. Anyone have or know about this drive? I would love to burn at 8 speed but since it is a maximum of 8 speed, do you think it will cause any problems. Any feedback would be appreciated

2. puff2345

puff2345 Member

i looked on staples web site but could not find this.
    is this a external burner?. the case alone would be worth the price. was this in a store?.

3. puff2345

puff2345 Member

internal, but still a good price.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I would go for a pioneer 108, I am always VERY suspicious of clearance sales. They usually mean "we are trying to get rid of all the crap we could not sell at normal price because nobody wanted to buy it at the inflated high price".
    As for burning at 8X, it can be dodgy as you are increasing the risk for errors. Most here burn at 4X & have a very high success rate. Quality of media is ABSOLUTELY critical, especially at high speed. If you get an 8X burner I would recommend that you get RW media.

5. ispy

ispy Regular member

I have both Sony 510a with 1.1 firmware rip @8x Burn @4x and a Pioneer 108D which burns @ 16 times on some media ,but I would agree with pulsar,keep your burns to 4x for less errors.I even burn 8x media (ritek GO5) @ 4x for quality

6. colw

colw Active member

Old adage - if it ain't broken - don't replace/fix it.

If you are currently satisfied with what you have - keep it.

I'm with pulsar and ispy, burning at more that 4X increases your chances of errors and bad burns.