1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uprgrading my CPU with CCE in mind

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by klemperal, Jun 24, 2007.

1. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Thanks for the information Sophocles. Once I get my money right I'll definitely have my eye on those. 6-7x is a huge step from not even 2x.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I haven't experienced that slow of an encode since before my old P4 Northwood days. I think that any entry level Core 2 Duo processor can comfortably encode in the 6 times range. Taking into consideration how easy they are to over clock, the sky is relative.

3. mord

mord Regular member

just a little heads up..intel dropped their prices for all their cpu's as of july 22nd :D

4. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Sweet. That price drop could not have come at a better time for me. I was ready to be off this machine by next month, with current intel price as they were, and now with the money I'll be saving I should be able to afford somthing better :)

5. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

double post by accident, my bad.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  6. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Will CCE SP utilize a quad core processor? I'm asking because I'm curious about the Intel Q6600. Otherwise I'll probably go with The dual E6850. Let me know what you think.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No, CCE is only dual threaded so it will us only two cores.

8. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Thanks for clearing that up for me. After looking at that particular quad processor for longer then a couple seconds I came to see that it was just barely faster then the dual, and generated significantly more heat.

9. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Well, I just figured I'd post what I ended up getting. I went with the Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 and not the E6850. Even though the E6850 is faster (and less expensive by a couple dollars) it would have cost me a couple hundred dollars more in the long run since the mobos that support it along with decent DDR3 ram is so much more expensive. I'm not and wasn't planning on overclocking the processors (my mobo won't let me do it anyway) and as the E6700 is on it's own I couldn't be happier with the incredible speed boost it has given to DVDRB/CCESP2. Thank you everyone for all your input, advice and help.

Spelling

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  10. spiesfan

spiesfan Regular member

I believe that it is possible to set dvd re builder to run multiple copies of CCE which could allow you to take advantage of quad core.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No CCE cannot take advantage of RB's "Multi Encoder Processes" because it is already multi (2) threaded. RB can only run one copy of CCE at a time. With quad core CPU's becoming mainstream perhaps CCE's developers will in time consider making the application at least quad threaded.

12. hotdog453

hotdog453 Member

I've used CCE+DVD RB for a long time now, and I finally upgraded to a Q6600 in one of my boxes. I don't know what exactly it means, but CCTSP.exe, in task manager, will show ~58-65% CPU usage on the quad core, meaning, technically, it's using 2+ cores. It may well be normal overhead, but just something I noticed.

Speed wise it seems blisteringly fast, getting 11-14x, overclocked to 3ghz. While I don't think it fully supports quad core, I do believe it's utilizing some of a third core.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

hotdog453

A Q6600 is fast even on two cores. If you see it using more than two cores than you are possibly looking at a flaw in how Windows allocates work to each core. It is possible that a single threaded process is split between more than one core by having it oscillate between it and another core. Since CCE can run two threads at once then it would be oscillating in a two by two fashion between the four cores. This has happened with dual cores and I am speculating the possibility of it occurring with four cores, but whatever the result, CCE can only run two threads at once, and no more. If you see more than dual core operation with a quad core, then you will have to look elsewhere for the answer.

14. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Is there anything besides overclocking and ram that could speed up a processor? I'm curious because with my E6700 running CCE my speeds are 6x on the low end, about 6.5x normally, and 7x on the high end. Are these normal speeds for E6700?

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes, but only moderately! Hard drive speed seems to have an effect on the prepare and rebuild stages, and perhaps less during the encode phase. Try it with an independent hard drive separate from the source drive and that can also help.

16. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

So do the speeds I reported with E6700 sound normal for a system that isn't overclocked?

17. mord

mord Regular member

if you dont have dual core...should multiple encoder processes be enabled or disabled?

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

mord,

it doesn't matter as it won't make any difference either way.

19. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

It doesn't appear that both my processors are being fully utilized with RB and CCESP. When looking at task manager->performance cpu usage is usually only around 75% and the speeds I'm getting with CCESP along side my E6700 seem low compared to what others are reporting. Any ideas on how to speed things up or fully utilize my processors for CCESP without overclocking?

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

klemperal

Remember that the E6700 has a clock speed of 2.67 GHz and the speed that I posted was with an E6700 over clocked to 3.6 GHz (a gain of 930 Mhz) which means that my CPU is running about 35% faster than yours. That's also going to translate to some additional speed. Also not ever DVD will encode at the same speed. DVD's that are longer running with more frames or are just plain loaded with action will encode at a slower rate.