1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upscaling 720p to 1080i info required

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by bsmall, Jul 13, 2008.

1. bsmall

bsmall Member

I have a standard DVD player
    and using an HD Pioneer Plasma PDP-507XDA TV I would like to know if the Plasma can unscale a standard dvd to 108oi or do you have to have a HD dvd player to upscale a standard dvd to 1080i. I want to know if I have to get a new DVD Player.

2. elliott

elliott Regular member

You do not have to buy an hd-dvd player you can purchase any number of dvd players that upscale usually it has to be connected via hdmi. I have 2 philips dvd players that upscale to 1080i and the picture is great. The signal the tv recieves must be upscaled as the tv alone cannot upscale the video. Now I know that is true for my hdtv but maybe some tv's have a feature I am not aware of one.

3. Dragula96

Dragula96 Guest

Your plasmas max resolution is 1365 x 768. Whatever you send it's way will be scaled to it's native resolution.

4. Icanbe

Icanbe Guest

720P will look better than 1080I.

5. elliott

elliott Regular member

I thought I already answered u you need an upconverting dvd player not a standard dvd player the tv only recieves the signal the signal it recieves needs to be upscaled, is that a bit clearer for you

6. Dragula96

Dragula96 Guest

He never responded, why are you getting all crazy? The tv's native resolution is only 1365 x 768, doesn't matter if he buys HD DVD or an upconverting player, he will still get 720p. Also, having the player upconvert the image, then having the tv downscale the image, will probably give you a worse image IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  7. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

/Agrees