1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upside Down Xvid

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Boc1986, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Boc1986

Boc1986 Member

just got my hands on a copy of the new Animatrix dvd rip and it plays fine on my pc. i have decompressed the audio and all the usual in virtual dub when i burn it using nero it converts it for me. now this is usually okay except when i go to play it back of of the vcd, either on the tv or pc, it is upside down. any suggestions. Boc01

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Well, thats because you let nero do the encoding for you and nero just cant encode properly simple as that!!

So check out http://www.afterdawn.com/articles and see how it should really be done!!

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Why dont u just turn the tv or monitor upside - whats the problem...eh?

4. Dela

lol! very funny but did u not ever think that monitors werent made to be turned upside down?? i would much rather flip the video than flip my monitor!

5. bi0

bi0 Member

same problem with other XviD movies, try a differnt codec. If you are usin Keopi (i think thats it) use Maniac's codec. or if you are able to compile the Source code of the original XviD codec.

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I was only kidding anyway....

Keopi's code is solid!

7. Dela

Ye i agree!! It's a good codec, nic's codec is ok but unfortunately gave me a few problems on playback for a while!

8. one5one

one5one Guest

Why does anyone ever encode in Xvid anyway? Xvid never plays right. I have several that I have downloaded but can't figure out how to watch them. Some play upside down and backwards. Some are all green. I loaded Xvid codecs but it didn't help. If I use MPLAYER2 and disable XVID in ffdshow filter, MPLAYER2 will use the updated Xvid filter. But I don't like MPLAYER2 and the picture still is not that great. It takes several minutes of playing to stabilize and the picture will intermittently turn into green squares. So what is the reason to encode with Xvid at all?

9. Dela

Compare xvid to SVCD even!! look att he quality of xvid compared to vcd! also a 100 minute movie would be 1gb vcd and pretty crappy quality! xvid would be much higher quality at 700mb!

Problems with xvid are usually cause by codec conflict of some sort!! People install full packs of codecs thinking that it's for the best but in reality its one of the worst things they could have done!

10. one5one

one5one Guest

So why is it not a more popular format and why does it have to be so difficult to get right? I would think that if you could get better quality with less MB's then people would be all over it. Do you know where one can go to learn more about Xvid? No guides or anything on afterdawn that I can see.

11. Dela

xvid is actually new!! its not that popular because it can only be played on a computer thus far, dvd players dont support it!

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

True, but DivX isnt much different in quality and there is a DVD Player available that plays that format now.
    Dela - list, in your opinion, the best Xvid codec and AC3 to go for>
    Cheers,
    Chris

13. bi0

bi0 Member

actaully XviD does play on certain DVD players, the KISS 450 (and the 500 and the long awaited 508 with a 80gb HDD) which i think everyone here is now familiar with and a new DVD player coming out i forget the name of it sorry.

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

15. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. A quick question: when you say xvid does not play on DVD players you are refering to home theater type dvd players (i hope). Well, those "fancy" home theater dvd players can barely play VCD/SVCDs properly! Like i mean, if the disc is in PERFECT condition then it plays properly and it's a good experience but you put the tiniest of scratches on a disc and your VCD/SVCD goes to crap. Play it on a computer and you wouldnt even notice.

2. Ive had the occasional problem with upside video with xvid (using VirtualDub, version 1.50 is think). That's easily fixable by just passing the output file through a vertical flip filter - granted it's an additional hassle but keep in mind that most of the time people complain about xvid because they have installed conflicting codecs/filters/programs etc.

3. xvid is open source, contains no spyware and if slightly more efficient thab DivX (5.03, 5.04 and 5.05). You get a higher bitrate in the same amount of space.

4. If i'm not mistaken SVCD requires that the source movie be 480x576 -- that seems kinda like a crappy resolution and ratio to me but (a) i may be mistaken and (b) just my preferences. When encoding AVI files i tend to go for 704x480 or something more rectangular.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

16. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Bigpockets didnt state whether this was an expensive DVD Player or a cheaper one. Cheaper ones have the ability to play most types, so if it cant be done now, a cheapy will come out with th ability to do it very soon.

I agree with every thing else you said Praetor, though DivX works fine for me, i understand that the higher bit rate gives a slightly better picture

17. Dela

Well, if you are encoding an avi 704x408, then i reckon you must be making it for 2 cds?? because i can imagine wouldnt be too good! 480x576 is fine and it's PAL. Perhaps you would prefer NTSC 480x480??

18. Praetor

For the average 1.5-2 hour DVD, I rip it to an avi as: 704x480, 96/112 audio bitrate (mp3), 700-max i can do video bitrate (xvid).

Most of the time I get a damn good quality rip and somehow still manage to stay ~700MB. I would imagine it's because i run my audio bitrate so low.

To answer your question however, I definitely not prefer the 480x480 picture -- it's a tad square ;)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V333, AMD2100+
    Samsung 512MB, PC2700
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB[/small]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2003
  19. Dela

it doesnt matter at all thought thats what people dont understand, on tv playback it will look fine!

20. Praetor

That's just the thing: I dont like watching movies on a tv. Almost all the movies I watch, I watch on my comp.