1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT NETGEAR HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Cully1980, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Cully1980

Cully1980 Member

Hello All

Wondering if someone would be able to help a complete router notice

basically what it is is that i have a Netgear Wireless Router that i have with my base Computer and my Laptop on a wireless network, however on the laptop it disconnects alot and then the connection starts up again

is there any reason for this, or do i need to update something on the router and the laptop PLEASE HELP

Your help guys would be greatly appreciated

2. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

I had a Linksys router, an older one, with a very similar problem, and I never did figure out what the problem was.

I upgraded to this wireless n router, and it works FLIPPING GREAT.

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

It would help if you had a second computer to diagnose the problem. At least, try plugging the laptop into the router with an ethernet cable.

If the router seems to reset itself periodically (you will get a "A network cable is unplugged" or "Network connection lost" error), the reason is because your ISP's performance exceeds the design capacity of the router. Netgears are notorious for this, and to a slightly lesser extent, so are Linksys. Both my Netgears (a wired FVS-318v2 and a wireless MR814) worked fine, initially. However, as my cable company upgraded network speeds incrementally, the routers started failing, usually self-resetting (Linksys' just crash randomly, requiring a reboot of the router). The FVS-318v2 was designed for a max WAN speed of 3.0 Mbps while the MR814 appeared to max out at 4.0.

This is why I stick with D-Link. Mine is two years old and is rated for a 15 Mbps WAN speed.