1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US HD DVD's Region Free or Not??? (Solved)

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by rogue212, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Hi, i've read and been told countless times that HD dvd's are region free but on reading the dvd details on some sites that sell to the UK they all say NTSC region 1.

Can anyone clear this up please, thanks.

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

HD DVD is region free.

3. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Hi again, i wanted to get Dune, but on the store details of the US dvd import it seems to be making the point in bold that it's region 1, but if you say they are all region free that's good enough for me.

I know my Tosh only plays region 2 but i assume that's for standard dvd's.

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I'm confused here, in your previous post you asked about HD DVD. Now you are talking about SD DVD. If you buy any HD DVD, whether it's imported from another country or not, it will be region free. SD DVD are mostly categorized by regions, not HD DVD. You must have been looking at the wrong version because all SD DVD's from the US are region 1.

Wiki - HD DVD

Below you will find each countries region, according to the color of that country.

[​IMG]

Go to Deep Discount or Amazon and get the HD DVD version and you will be safe - that is if you actually have an HD DVD player.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  5. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

No, ya got it wrong, please read again, i've seen seller's on amazon , ebay as well who sell HD dvd's who specify that there HD DVD's are NTSC Region 1.

We all know that normal dvd's are region encoded, that's why i said my HD player is region 2, it must be relating to normal dvd's., but that wasn't the point, my original question was, why do they specify region 1 on a HD dvd's if they are region free.

6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

That should not be on there! If it's region free it will say region 0 or it will read region free! Send me the link that you are talking about. Your player may say region 2 because you are in the UK. HD DVD also plays SD DVD's, so you are going to want to get an SD DVD with region 2 on it. Come on man, use a little common sense.

Most people on ebay are also newbs and have no idea what they are talking about. Don't beleive everything you read. Do a little research man, and for the thousandth time, HD DVD IS REGION FREE!

7. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

rogue212

HD: region-free
    SD: region specific

Some HDs from US/Canada are combos meaning one side is HD (region-free)
    and one side is SD (Region 1)

If you order Dune HD from US/Canada it will play in your HD player.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  8. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Thanks, the two sided disc must be the reason, here's any example, and i've seen this on a few sites:

The Bourne Identity [HD DVD] [2002] [US Import]
    et4less-usa-uk (A1LKQDOX4H3U80)
    Feedback Rating: 13909 reviews
    Comments: Ships from USA. Average delivery time is 10-20 business days-latest estimate as specified by the Post Office is 42 business days. DVDs are REGION 1 NTSC. Items are guaranteed to be non-defective. However, returns due to CUSTOMER ERROR [wrong item, wrong f
    Shipping: International shipping available
    Availability: Usually dispatched within 1-2 business days

Sorry, it was meant to be a simple question, i didn't mean it to go all FUBAR on me, thanks again.

9. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

For good sake man "LEARN TO READ"! how can anyone be so ignorant "Come on man, use a little common sense....yourself"

10. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

It can be very confusing importing. I have ordered HD's from Ezydvd/Australia. In the check-out I had a popup stating that Australia was Region 4. However, I knew HD's were region-free and ordered anyways. All 3 HDs played fine. I'm in Canada.

In my opinion, I think HD's being region-free contributed to it's demise. Bluray is region specific.

BTW. There is a sale going on at DVD.co.uk (Free shipping for you)

http://www.dvd.co.uk/landingpage_691.htm

11. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I don't care if I get banned for this, but I'm going to start off by saying your are a f*cking ass clown!

I didn't like your smart ass comment you left, when all I was doing was trying to be helpful. How bout you also supply some links instead of spitting out some sh1t you read on the internet. HD DVD is region free! What else do you not understand? Also, I didn't know you were referring to combo disks. And given that, you should have used your brain and put two and two together.

It might have gone a little something like this:

Or maybe like this:

Yea man, it was that easy. Ever heard of Google? It works wonders my friend, has all the answers you will ever need. So next time try using Google first before you come here and ask questions, then act like a smart ass when you don't get spoon fed an answer!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  12. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

I don't argue with dumb people, get out more, eat more fresh fruit and read a book or two.

I was replying to your "smart" comments, who said it was a two sided disk, that was the assumption and there for the probable reason for it being region 1, remember the part about thinking?

Or as a said to you before, "i'll take your word for it" meaning that i beleive you and it's probably an error on the seller's part, end of discussion, but hey wait no it's..........and trust me i was being polite!

Moderator please close this thread.

13. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Thanks mackdl, nice to have some sane people on here.

14. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Actually I do eat plenty of fresh fruit, I grow my own. Books, heh, I have an entire room dedicated to books. And you don't argue with dumb people? You are the **** moron that came here asking a question that could have taken 10 seconds to find on Google!

Exactly, you never said it was a two-sided disk smart ass. Next time you come asking for help, how bout you try and help others by giving more information then something you "read" on ebay! Supply some links a$$clown!

If you would have actually taken the time to look at what they were selling, you would have noticed that it was a combo disk - too late man, you lose!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  15. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Then stop playing with ya google and read them, please don't go to school tomorrow and start shootin people.

Moderator please close this, other member's are saying he's embarrassing this forum.

16. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I'm not the one that needs to read it noob, you are the one. And the only person making a fool out of themselves is you for asking such a stupid question. I'm done with you lamer.

17. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

What ever, your've made as laugh i give ya that.

18. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Who else are you referring to exactly? The only people I see involved in this ridiculous discussion is you and I. You got a mouse in your pocket, or do you have people talking to you in your head?

I also take it English isn't your first language, or are you drunk?

19. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

No one's interested, i take it ya single, well i guess that explains it.

20. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.