1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Harddrive problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Bezerker, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Bezerker

Bezerker Member

I have a maxtor 200gb harddrive and a TravelStar USB enclosure. Everything is hooked up correctly, it works with my PS2 (playing games) and the harddrive itself works when physically plugged into the comp with the ide cable. But when i try to plug it in through the USB cable it does not work. The light on the enclosure turns orange (like it does when its loading) and XP makes the sound it makes when a USB cable has been plugged in, then after a few seconds the light on the enclosure goes green, but XP makes the sound for when a usb cable has been removed (even though everything is still plugged in). I tried looking in Admin tools, it doesnt show the harddrive at all. Can anyone help me out?

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Is the hdd formatted for use with a ps2? If it is then thats why windows cant see it, as it cant read that type of file system.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  3. Bezerker

Bezerker Member

It is formatted for the ps2, but works when i have the harddrive connected internally, just not through the usb enclosure.

Basically what happens is when i plug it in, i get the usb popup and it says "Usb harddrive" (or something like that), so it does recognize it as a harddrive. then a few seconds later the usb connection disconnects automatically when the harddrive light goes green.

4. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

I dont know but it might be down to the ps2 format.

5. Bezerker

Bezerker Member

If it is the ps2 format i dont understand why it would work when connected through the ide cable, but not through the usb

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

When it is plugged in, is there any reference to the device in device manager in the Universal serial bus tree?

If so, completely remove all references and then reboot (with the USB device still plugged in) and see if it reinstalls it.

Failing that, how did you set the drive up in the first place, via IDE or USB?

If it was IDE, then it maybe worthwhile uninstalling it whilst connected in IDE.
    Then reconnect using USB and see if this helps.

7. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Am just thinking when you plug a ps2 hdd in via the ide cable windows cant read it coz its ps2 formatted and you would have to use a program like WinHIP to have access to it, This i think would also be the same for the usb even thou the light goes of all i can say is try it the usb why and use WinHIP to see if you can access the USB hdd.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Very good possibility.............

What specification USB are you using on your PC, 1.1 or 2.0?

9. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

Windows XP wouldnt recognise my USB HDD because I had the jumpers on.

Took them off and it worked as it should

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

OMG....................I have just experienced the same thing...........

Put a laptop hard drive in a USB enclosure, plugged it in, the USB ding a ling popped up, then the ding a ling popped up again.

No hard drive installed.

Removed the jumper (was set on master), and it recognised it and installed it fine..................

jpp01uk may have hit on something there, give it ago, I am sure it will fix....................

11. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

yeah i spent days looking for the answer!

different cables, different connections etc

then removed the jumpers and XP decided to do what its meant to do, im not too sure why it does it.

i thought it did it in mine because I have 2 HDDs setup in RAID level 1, but the problem HDD was set to master on mine as well

dunno if there any consequences of taking the jumpers off, but mine is in my ps2 now with them connected again and is working fine!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yeah, something I have never really focused on is jumpers for USB hard drives.

The USB specs, do not require them do they, as they use their own protocol and do not require to distinguish them between master/slave in order to assign them a drive letter due to the amount of addresses that can be assigned to them (what is it 127 devices or something like that)

I shall do some reading up on this I think, as I believe this could be a common issue.

@Bezerker, has your drive got a jumper on it, and have you tried removing it?

13. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

yeah ive noticed quite a few threads that look like it could be this

14. Bezerker

Bezerker Member

I read this and i was hoping that my drive did have a jumper on it, but no, there was no jumper on it.

Im not really concerned anymore, i've given up on USB extreme since 9/10 of all the PS2 games out there are not compatible with it.

15. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

yeah i was going to get USB extreme as well, but opted for HD Advance anyway

ive had no problems with it so far

HD Advance would be my recommendation

16. Bezerker

Bezerker Member

I had HD advance, but i fried the harddrive port on the network adapter and then my ps2 took a dump, so i went and got a slimline ps2.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  17. kgj

kgj Guest

Under winxp, load the USB device's driver then see if the comp see the hard drive. In windows 98, all my device drivers are in but I also couldn't see the usb drive. What I did is to format the USB drive using partition magic. I put the drive in fat 32 format and the USB drive just popped out. Hope that works.

18. Bezerker

Bezerker Member

I found out it was actually just the usb enclosure itself, only works with my ps2, i have a new enclosure now that works great.

19. wbazzi34

wbazzi34 Member

wassup i neeed some help i ordered a 160gb hard drive and got a slim ps2 with swap magic 3.3. i didnt feel like buying usb extreme so i burned usb advance and it worked on a burned cd but not dvd. will the hard drive work on swap magic 3.3 and will dvd games work on usb advance on cd? thank you very much.

20. wharris15

wharris15 Guest

where do you go to burn usb advance