1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB inputs for external Hard drive?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by quaffin1, Aug 20, 2007.

1. quaffin1

quaffin1 Member

I have a 200GB external hard drive that I have loaded with music.
    I see some of the newer rcvrs have USB host inputs. Looks like these are designed for connecting a flash drive. Is it possible to connect a large external drive? Guess it would be difficult to call up a playlist with thousands of songs, unless this would put a menu up on TV screen.
    Some of the newer DVD upconverters have USB inputs, would this be better option? This might have better access to a true menu of files on the TV screen.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

The usb connections, on receivers, is more for mp3 players, such as an iPod, so you can listen to them through your system. If you connect an external HD, how will you access it?

3. quaffin1

quaffin1 Member

I was told that this USB port was typically for connection of a "thumb drive" or "flash drive" albeit I'm sure it is more for a small flash drive, and not a 200 gig hard drive.
    Couldn't see how the receiver would care what the size of the external device was tho.
    But I agree, don't know how the recvr will interface with the drive, whatever the size so you could see a file list.
    I don't have a ipod, do they interface through a USB port?
    I was told they use a DMport that I have seen on some newer rcvrs.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

I don't have an iPod. I was taking it for granted they used usb. Sorry.
    I guess the receiver would just start playing the first song, on a thumb drive? There's a usb on my JVC receiver. It says, in the manual, it's for hooking your computer up to it, to play mp3s. I've never done it. Since my computer is a stand alone HT, it's not been in the same room with my main system.

5. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

quaffin1- Philips has a few models of DVD Players with a USB jack in the front & I have heard of people playing Back video from external hard drives through one of those Philips Units ! As to whether or not you can play Back MP3 files through the Usb Port I'm not sure but you may want to check this link out anyways http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882641222 good luck & hope that it helps ? CiaO!!!!!!!!!