1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

usb ports

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rtrg, Apr 21, 2020.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

odd question. hp elite 8000 cmt with 4 usb 2.0 ports. desktop #1 uses 3 of the 4 front ports for wifi,wireless mouse/keyboard set, 2nd wireless mouse. #2 desktop, from bottom to top, wifi, wireless mouse. upper two ports do not support a second wireless mouse whether the primary mouse is removed or not. a setting I am missing? drivers for the ports missing? will a usb3.o wifi work in a usb 2.0 port?

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Hello rtrg-

Do the upper two ports in the #2 computer work with any device that you plug into them?

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

no. the only thing I can try is my vga to tv adapter box that uses usb for power. if it works than I do not understand why 2 ports will work the wireless mouse but 2 will not

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

If nothing else you have works in those two ports, I'd say the problem is on the motherboard. Could be a driver. I don't know what you're OS is but go to Control Panel, Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers. For anything that's not identified as being connected to a device, such as a printer, uninstall it. Then reboot and the drivers will be reinstalled. You would probably want to set a system restore point before doing so.

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I use a pc to tv adapter box for my tv. it uses usb power. I used the 2 upper ports in question to power it. it works. the device manager says all 9 usb ports are active, none have yellow marks. yet the wireless mouse will not work in either. yet a wired mouse will. I am out of ideas. apparently I will need a usb hub, non powered I hope.

6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

After you plug your wireless mouse adapter in one of those two ports, are you sure you're going through the proper procedure to connect the mouse to the adapter. If you have a wireless keyboard, can you connect it through the adapter?

For some reason, I'm not getting e-mail notifications from this thread. Sorry for the late response.

7. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Any luck with this?

8. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

only partially. #1 port allows my wifi adapter and a/v input device to work but not the wireless mouse. still a mistery. I will use a hub if I ever need to expand.

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member