1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

usb problems in Win xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by CAT1, Oct 26, 2008.

1. CAT1

CAT1 Member

I recently installed Win xp pro in my computer (formated before installation) and after this usb ports are not correctly.

There are 2 usb ports on the front and 2 on the back. When I plug in a device (mouse, keyboard, printer) for one port, it sometimes works and the next time I try the same port, it doesn't work. However, all 4 are never working at the same time.

I tried to uninstall Usb root hubs in device manager in safe mode and to install them again, but this didn't help. I've also tried re-installing windows and windows repair, but the same problem occurs every time.

I have a rather old Compaq presario computer (7el7000T) and was using Win Me before xp installation.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. CAT1

CAT1 Member

Compaq Presario Desktop PC 7EL7000T-130

4. ugc

ugc Regular member

CAT1>

What service pack are you running?

5. CAT1

CAT1 Member

downloaded all the updates after installation, so am running service pack 3 now.

6. varnull

varnull Guest

7. ddp

8. CAT1

CAT1 Member

I downloaded all the service packs after the installation and usb ports haven't worked from the beginning. Usb mouse worked just fine during installation, but stopped working in that same port when the installation was finished.

9. varnull

varnull Guest

That sounds like xp is replacing the drivers at a late point in the install. It pulls stupid tricks like that...

Have you tried unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in again? It can be as simple as that some times.

10. CAT1

CAT1 Member

Yes, I've tried it. The problem is that one usb port might be working when I start the computer, but the other port next to it isn't working. And when I restart the computer, another port might be working this time. However, it doesn't help to unplug the device un plug it in again...

11. CAT1

CAT1 Member

still having the same problem, couldn't get any help from Compaq webpage / customer service, they just told me to contact microsoft...

Tried to find out the make of the motherboard, so I could find some drivers this way, but that didn't help that much. Found the following information:
    PW-ELISE-SWAP BD
    PCB 316701200001-R01
    ASSY 411701200001 R

anymore ideas?

12. ddp

in device manager, what does it show under the ide controller like intel, via, sis or amd?

13. CAT1

CAT1 Member

VIA Bus master IDE controller

14. ddp

15. CAT1

CAT1 Member

VIA drivers didn't help... I guess I'll just have to use only the 2 usb ports on the front. They both seem to work as long as I don't plug anything in the back. (I also noticed that the floppy drive doesn't work, but I think I can manage without that also).
    Thanks for everyone for helping.

16. ddp

if ports worked before, then is a software issue, is sp3 an update or part of the xp cd?

17. CAT1

CAT1 Member

SP3 is an update after installation. However, the ports didn't work right after installation either. They only worked when I still had Win ME.

18. Betageek

Betageek Member

Have you tried going into the Device Mangler and delete ALL the USB ports? It sounds to me like there is a hardware conflict, especially if the working ports in the back keep changing.

You WILL lose the use of your mouse for this, but it should come back after XP detects the hardware, installs the drivers and then you may need to reboot it again.

Also you might check the BIOS to see if it the latest version and if the ports are ALL enabled.

19. CAT1

CAT1 Member

Yes, I've tried that. However, it was unclear to me, do I delete just USB Root hubs (2 pcs) or also VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controllers (2 pcs)? Until now I've only tried deleting USB Root Hubs.

20. CAT1

CAT1 Member

I don't think I have the latest version of BIOS, but don't know how to update it, because floppy drive isn't working either...