1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

usb problems in Win xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by CAT1, Oct 26, 2008.

1. CAT1

CAT1 Member

got them all working! removed all usb devices/root hubs etc in safe mode, restarted the computer in normal mode, plugged in usb devices and now all 4 usb ports are working. Thanks again for everyone and sorry that I didn't understand how to do this correctly before...

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

teach & learn

3. CAT1

CAT1 Member

seem that I was celebrating too soon.. When I restart the computer, the same problem occurs... Once again the ports on the back are not working...

4. Betageek

Betageek Member

I get really tickled when I can help someone out with their PC problems. I am happy that you got it all working like it should, CAT1. I have, on occasion, had to uninstall the ENTIRE PCI Bus, to clear up some of the goofy stuff that I have seen in the WinXP O/S.
    Sure, you lose all functionality when you do that, but the secret to that is to set the power button to shutdown Windows when it is pushed. That way it doesn't matter how much hardware you dump, it is USUALLY re-installed when the system comes back up. One more reboot will finish it off(Probably!), but you have your mouse and KB back for that.

5. Betageek

Betageek Member

All I can say is; Download driver update for your board before you the remove the PCI bus Then, go in and set your power button to either Ask You what you want to do or to shut down windows when pushed change the View in the Device Manager (Mangler - LOL!) to devices by connection, and, AFTER you . If that doesn't work then your mother board MAY have an issue.

BE PATIENT! Doing that will take some time, before it is finished. THEN push the button.

There could be an issue with the usb connectors on the motherboard header, as well.