Question USB Switching Thingy

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by oldgold, Jan 13, 2015.

1. oldgold

oldgold Member

Apologies for the vague title but don't know if what I'm looking for actually exists.

I have a portable hdd connected by USB to my bluray player to watch videos store on my hdd. I have to then move this hdd into the room where my pc is to connect it to the pc each time I want to add extra files.

My question is can you get some kind of USB switch device that I can connect all three to at the same time so I can xfer files to the hdd without moving it and then also still watch the videos from the hdd on my bluray player?

I know you can get hubs to connect multiple devices to one socket, but I don't know if they'll do what I want because of the direction flow of data will be different. It's almost like the hdd will be the middle man - it will receive files from pc but be able to also send them to bluray player independent of the pc (ie when it's turned off).

Hope that makes sense. Does anybody know if such hardware exists?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If it could work you'd need to use a usb cable splitter with most probably a female at one end splitting into 2 male at the other,or 2 female depending on the cable that's coming from the hard drive & basically using cable adapters to get the ends to & from the devices

other option get an adapter cable so that the dvd player has a cable permanently attached that is long enough so you don't need to reach behind the player to remove the hdd cable,assuming this is why you want to do the splitter thingy in the first place.